What the soak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
After finding a great website here, Redfoot.com. I decided since I couldn't tell if my RF Jack liked his soaks or not, I would just mist him as suggested there. They claim they never do 'forced'soaks and they feel their RFs are happier.
I have been misting Jack daily for about 3 weeks, but the last 2 days he has been in his water dish. I have had him for at least 6 yrs and he has NEVER been in his water dish. Guess he likes his soaks!!!
Now will it hurt if I continue to mist him, he seems to like that also.
And people say to me, what good is having a turtle???!!!
NA

Attachments

• rf jack.jpg
    rf jack.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 52

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Jack is pretty handsome there Nadine! Mist and soak if he likes both! No harm in both. I think what Terry is saying in the no forced soaks is that he has deep enough water bowls in with them that they soak if they feel like soaking in them. They are dirtied daily and cleaned and replaced I believe.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay was he "self" soaking? Its awesome when redfoots automatically go in their water dish to soak. Its a sign of good heath. Seems to me like the misting is making him happier and promoting natural behavior like self soaking.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Self soaking is perfectly normal for redfoots and they do enjoy misting too. You must remember the habitat they are from. Frequent rains and high humidity. I also have a burmese mountain tort and it self soaks and enjoys misting. Your redfoot is normal. The forced soak is just that, a forced activity.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i just pictured your tortoise sitting in his bowl splashing around :) :) :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
And smiling.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yes, he was self soaking, as best as he can. The water dish is one of those kinda of walk in kind. Since he never went in it before, I had wanted to make sure he could access it as easily as possible. I would see him drink from it. So looks like I need to find a more 'fit the whole body soakable kind' suggestions welcome!
Yes , thanks, I do think he's such a handsome boy also. And when I got home and saw him, he looked up, like hey look at me. but by the time I got the camera, he had moved on. (Afraid I would take a pic and post it on the web!!!), Now where would he get an idea like that??? I would only post it to my friends at tortoise forum!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Plant dishes work well. I use terra cotti about 1 1/2 the body length of tort. I find they climb in and out easily and the terra cotti helps keep humidity up.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have also heard of people using paint roller pans if it is big enough.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Nay said:
Yes, he was self soaking, as best as he can. The water dish is one of those kinda of walk in kind. Since he never went in it before, I had wanted to make sure he could access it as easily as possible. I would see him drink from it. So looks like I need to find a more 'fit the whole body soakable kind' suggestions welcome!
Yes , thanks, I do think he's such a handsome boy also. And when I got home and saw him, he looked up, like hey look at me. but by the time I got the camera, he had moved on. (Afraid I would take a pic and post it on the web!!!), Now where would he get an idea like that??? I would only post it to my friends at tortoise forum!!

SEE... that shows to go ya! We have helped 1 redfoot be happier!
Did you register with us @ Redfoots.com?

Jack must be 8"-9" by now so I might suggest a 12" plastic flower pot base with the flared edges. He can cruise right in and out of those. I have a female that uses the same one outside all of the time!

Terry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hay...I haven't been posting for a while, been sick, but I just wanted to add my two cents in. I usually mist Pio when he finishes eating and before he goes into his hide. I never saw him in his water dish, but I did see some leaves in there, so I knew he was in it. I finally woke up early enough to catch him. He was just sitting in his dish looking around. He sat there for a good 15 min. or so. I was so excited...I just sat and watched him.
Scan0011-2.jpg

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I dont know what you use for a pen. But I use bird bath tops. They sell them at lowes for around 15 bucks. They are about 20"

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
RFBT that sounds like a good idea for an outside pen for adults.. most have smaller indoor pens.

I like Itorts size/ratio.

Anja the depth isn't what determines the "soak-dish" idea. All water dishes should big big enough in diameter for your tort to stretch out in regardless the species.. hence the term "soak-dish". The DEPTH is critical.. no deeper than chin-deep - so they should be shallow actually.

Let them "self-soak'.. they want to. Provide their needs.. they'll do the rest. One of my adult males "dances" when I spray him.. they all like to be "rained" on!

O.K. Nay?

Terry

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry, what a great enclosure. Is that inside?? And GREAT idea for the bird bath top. I even think I have one.What a little doll there. And no I have not registered with Redfoot.com. didn't know I could..
Thanks Na

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:

I can't remember what size you said he is. My Rosie is 7". She has a 9"x13" pyrex baking dish. I have it in a corner & pack her substrate around it so she can walk out of it easier. I isn't so deep that if she should roll over in it she can't drown. I make my rounds several times a day to be sure nobody is turned over. Nobody has for quite a while but I still check. It makes me walk around. For my smaller guys/gals I found a plastic container from Walmart that is about 4"x10"x3". I cut one end down to about 3/4" so they can walk in & out easily. Again I pack substrate tight against the front so they have traction for getting out. Both are easy to clean, so it works for me. The pyrex is kind of heavy so it is harder for them to move them if they should try.
Patsy

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I bought some plastic plant pots with dish attached with prongs. Took the pot off and had a water dish with prongs pointing up. If the tort flips over, these give it purchase to right it's self.

Status
Not open for further replies.