What the heck is this?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
And more importantly, is it going to eat me? My mom is sure it is a Triffid.

Note: I have no intentions on feeding this to anyone, just need identification so I know how best to eliminate it without killing my other plants.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408680302.649413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408680334.548193.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. Don't know that one. Are their alien seed pods incubating human clones in there too? That's crazy. Where are you?

It would be cool if its edible. It would be like spaghetti for tortoises. :) You could mash up some opuntia fruits and make a simulated marinara sauce to put on top! :D

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
From what I've been told (which is very little) that is a parasite that shows up sporadically (like from spores, we think) and it basically chokes out the plants it's on. It's not good. But that's all I know. Could be completely wrong :)

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Southeast Arizona, but our monsoons have been crazy this year, I have tons of shrooms growing in my planters.. So I would not be surprised if this is a fungus or man-eating alien species!!

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
From what I've been told (which is very little) that is a parasite that shows up sporadically (like from spores, we think) and it basically chokes out the plants it's on. It's not good. But that's all I know. Could be completely wrong :)
It's true, this is called dodder and can take over a yard pretty quickly. No idea if it's safe for torts or not.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you for the info, fluffy. I think it could be Cassytha, but that mostly grows in South America, Australia and Hawaii.. Not sure what the heck it would be doing in Arizona!!

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I believe a nice helping of weed killer is due.
It's worth a try, but i will advise that his stuff does not go away easily and the damage has been done to any plants it has wrapped around. Like a lot of ivy type stuff, torching is one of the more effective methods but I understand that is not always practical. Remove as much as you can and give it a shot with any remedies that work for you, but don't worry about saving anything it has overtaken.