What temperature can I let my tortoise outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

5 Year Member
I have two tortoises both around 3-4 one is significantly larger than the other. Yet the smaller one seems more happy to be outside when it's colder is this normal? Or is it just he is getting up to temperature quicker?

This morning the smaller one was happy to go out when it was around 12-14•c also is this safe? I would assume he wouldn't go out if he felt too cold?

stu

5 Year Member
Hi Flintus I have to be honest I'm not a hundred percent sure to me they look like Testudo graeca graeca is this what you mean? ImageUploadedByTortForum1378637305.640039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I think it is probably TGG but some close up pics would be good and a plastron shot as different subspecies have slightly different care. They are relatively cold hardy-not as much as iberas though- so should be fine with those temps.

stu

5 Year Member
Here are some photos of the two torts, three photos each.
1st
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378719328.090812.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378719337.907056.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378719350.406482.jpg
2nd
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378719380.206891.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378719390.423598.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378719402.123841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stu

5 Year Member
Ah that's news to me then, thank you. I take it there isn't too much difference in care?
The only thing I am worried about is humidity as its often high in the UK and they are in a closed enclosure to keep the heat in which I think will increase humidity more however I am waiting for a hygrometer to test it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Ibera are actually much more cold tolerant than Graeca. They also tolerate much damper conditions but that is not to say that they should be purposely exposed to them. It just means that hey can weather cooler, damp periods outdoors as long as they have adequate shelters to do so in. They also brumate (hibernate) in nature which is a general indication that they are suited for cooler temperatures. High humidity should not be a problem with them as long as the temperatures are within their normal activity range. Ambient humdity within 50-75% is actually ideal for them.

stu

5 Year Member
Thank you both you have been a great help I won't worry so much now when they want to go for a roam when it's cooler and a little damp. They always have access to there nice warm house.

Should I be overly worried about keeping the enclosure really warm I've just made it nice and weather proof for the winter so now under the basking spot at the moment it gets to around 33-35•c and over all night time temp around stays at around 12-15•c does this sound okay to you? They seem to like the heat.

I'm sorry for all the questions.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Havent logged on in a while but seems like everybody answered your questions already. =) lol

onanoose

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
My ibera sleeps outside with temperatures down to 10-12c as long as he's dry and has plenty of sand/soil to dig into at night.

stu

5 Year Member
Hi guys and girls one more question, for now.
I am currently leaving my tortoise house open so they can come and go as they please but they don't seem to want to is there anything I can do to encourage them to go out. It's around 15-17•c outside at the moment so no too cold for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.