What Substrate is used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hey,
I am wondering what substrates is used in this picture...unfortunately its not my tort...what mix is it?

Check this link out as well.: http://turtleconservancy.org/bcc/

Thanks

Attachments

• Ploughshare tortoise .jpg
    Ploughshare tortoise .jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's rocks..not recommended for an indoor habitat. That picture looks like it was taken outside.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I think it consists of more than just a few pebbles. But any suggestions would be great!! Anyone know what these plants are?
Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
A mixture of bark chips and rocks. VERY VERY VERY bad substrate. Allows no opportunity for burrowing, is not natural, can cause digestion blockages, and can also cause splinters. Keeping a ploughshare tortoise on that type of substrate is just bullsh*t.

Radiated

5 Year Member
many people mentioned cypress mulch...but it isn't really the natural environment. But I'm not sure how to get good soil, like the native type.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sometimes its just about getting as close as you can to there natural environment. They do like forest and woodland areas so the cypress mulch would be a good alternative...

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The natural habitat of ploughshare tortoises are bamboo forests in a arid-tropical climate. Cypress mulch would be okay, but the preferred mix would still be 50/50 dirt and sand.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Tony's absolutely right, that's horsecrap for choice of substrate. Sand/soil mix would be the way to go. Although my radiated doesn't burrow, he does a sorta ritual before turning in, the 'wadding" action and shallow pit he creates in the process, tells me that he loves the substrate and I'd never be able to see this behaviour if I'd used something else. I did an experiment as well, I laid sheets of newspaper over the soil/sand substrate and he did nothing, no wadding whatsoever. After a week, I removed the papers, he did something that brought a smile to me face. The moment he felt the soil beneath his feet, he started pacing about "enthusiastically", and he did this butt shimmy whereby he wiggled his hind legs into the soil every couple of steps.

Always remember this, what suits our purpose and looks pleasing to us, doesnt work the same or apply for our torts. They do not care if the substrate looks nice. You would want something that works best, brings out positive behaviours and most importantly, is SAFE.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
That is pea gravel and seed casings your looking at. I would recommend ecoearth if your doing an indoor setup for younger animals.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks all,
I was wondering if it is a good idea to have cypress mulch on top of the soil/sand mix...for my radiated tortoises

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
Thanks all,
I was wondering if it is a good idea to have cypress mulch on top of the soil/sand mix...for my radiated tortoises

Thanks

I'm always stressing substrate AS CLOSE TO THEIR NATURAL HABITAT AS POSSIBLE. The radiated tortoise lives in Madagascar's southern spiny scrub forests where the soil is hard packed and sandy underneath, with a small loose layer on the top. A 60/40 mix of dirt and sand would be ideal. You can add a small area of slightly moist sphagnum moss for hatchlings and juveniles. Remember, a tortoise enclosure should try to mirror its natural habitat as closely as possible.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Radiated said:
Thanks,
But won't they eat the sphagnum moss?

No they might nibble at first but soon learn its just a good place to sleep in!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I like to use cypress mulch on top of Eco earth just where the food and water bowls go because it helps prevent mold from growing. It is not really necessary over the rest of the enclosure, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

Also, it is very common to stage pictures with a substrate that is different from what you keep the animal on because it looks better. It is possible that this is the case in your picture. It's hard to believe that someone with a tortoise that rare would keep it on a sub-standard substrate.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Yea that i don't understand either why they keep it on this substrate, this picture is from "Behler Chelonian Center" where they even breed these tortoises.

But thanks any way.

Chicobeaks

5 Year Member
After reading this thread I decided to give EcoEarth a try. My 10mo old radiated has been on cypress mulch since I got him in June. He has loved the switch to ecoearth. He's much more active and alert in his indoor enclosure. It also allows him to dig a little bed when he calls it a night.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use sphagnum moss for my 2 small radiated. It seems to work very well for them. They burrow down in it when its time to sleep. Never seen them eat it

Status
Not open for further replies.