Radiated Tortoise Ideal Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
How is the substrate in this set up here and what plant is used. Is the substrate any good?
Can I just use any play sand in a home depot store. ??

Thanks

Attachments

• image-2365278173.png
    image-2365278173.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3063835259.png
    image-3063835259.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 50

Radiated

5 Year Member
I have just researched about Exo-Terra. They also have something similar to zoomeds Eco earth. It's call plantation soil. Is Exo Terra's plantation soil better or is zoomeds Eco earth better for mixing with the play sand as substrate for radiated tortoises?
Any experience?

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
That's a fairly good substrate for a radiated tortoise. Yes, play sand from Home Depot is fine. Just make sure you wash it to get all the dust out. You're still asking questions about Eco Earth and such, so I'll just snip you some pics of radiated tortoise habitat to give you a sense of what I'm talking about when it comes to substrate.

1. Note: only the first pic is radiated tortoise habitat.
figure2.html

remote_image20110905-28529-1blqy3l-0.jpg

popup

The first and 3rd pic didn't show up apparantly...
:/

Radiated

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
That's a fairly good substrate for a radiated tortoise. Yes, play sand from Home Depot is fine. Just make sure you wash it to get all the dust out. You're still asking questions about Eco Earth and such, so I'll just snip you some pics of radiated tortoise habitat to give you a sense of what I'm talking about when it comes to substrate.

Thanks
Which is the great substrate? So I could also do a 60/40 mix of play sand and plantation soil or Eco earth?
Thanks

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Just a note on sand... Be sure to get the "play" sand and not mortar sand. Mortar sand contains silica which is nasty stuff to breath. ;)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
tortoises101 said:

Thanks
Which is the great substrate? So I could also do a 60/40 mix of play sand and plantation soil or Eco earth?
Thanks

Yep. That would be a good mix.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hi tortoise 101
Thanks for the photos! I see that the soil is red, should I use play sand or beach sand? I am planning to mix 60/40 with play sand(beach sand)/Eco earth. Is that good?

Thanks

Radiated said:
Hi tortoise 101
Thanks for the photos! I see that the soil is red, should I use play sand or beach sand? I am planning to mix 60/40 with play sand(beach sand)/Eco earth. Is that good?

Thanks

Sry take the part back with the mix. But shouldn't use the beach sand?

Radiated said:
Hi tortoise 101

Thanks

Sry take the part back with the mix. But should I use the beach sand?

Sry for the many quotes! Using the web app not working well. So basically could I mix with 60/40 using BEACH SAND/ eco earth

Thanks
:D

Radiated

5 Year Member
Is play sand the same sand that is often found in children sand boxes in neighborhoods? How do i tell if the sand is ok for this purpose of mixing, just regular sandbox sand ok?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Play sand is packaged and labelled "Play sand". It IS what people put in children's sand boxes. It is clean and free of any glass particles. It comes in a bag and the bag is clearly labelled - PlaySand.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks, would beach sand work? Isn't that more natural and similar to the play sand?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
Thanks, would beach sand work? Isn't that more natural and similar to the play sand?

You don't know what might be in beach sand. It could be crawling with all sorts of crap.

Radiated said:
I see that the soil is red

How? It's clearly tan/brown in the picture...

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
emysemys said:
Play sand is packaged and labelled "Play sand". It IS what people put in children's sand boxes. It is clean and free of any glass particles. It comes in a bag and the bag is clearly labelled - PlaySand.

So it'll say "Play" and "Sand" both on the bag? Two words or one? I'm just trying to clarify, this has been hard for me to grasp.

;)

ayS

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
TylerStewart said:
So it'll say "Play" and "Sand" both on the bag? Two words or one? I'm just trying to clarify, this has been hard for me to grasp.

;)

It will say " play sand " on it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TylerStewart said:
emysemys said:

;)

Smart alec! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.