What species is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I got a call today from someone who said they found this turtle/tortoise in their front yard. I have no idea what it could possibly be? and help? this is the only image they sent me.

turtle.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hard to tell from the picture, but right now I would guess a desert tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I also had no idea where to post this. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I asked for a front and side view of it. Thats what my initial thought was. But, it is a small image and it looks like it has a build up of dirt.

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Judging by those broad feet, the compressed carapace, and the upturned nose, I would say it's Emys (Emydoidea) blandingii, which is native in California.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you, I cannot find very much information on this pond turtle. Trying on google.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Blake m said:
Thank you, I cannot find very much information on this pond turtle. Trying on google.

Sorry, I should have said western pond turtle, Emys (Actinemys) marmorata, which is native to California, not Emys (Emydoidea) blandingii, which is native to northern states. Wiki is a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_pond_turtle

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Western pond turtles are illegal to own in california, no exceptions. Just FYI

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Great. The images I was seeing seemed off. Dmmj, it was a drop off I believe. It was in the individuals grass in the front of their yard. What should they do?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would contact fish and game and go from there, they are a protected species, so they would be the best to handle it, it is not like the CDT where you can adopt one from them. No private ownership what so ever. I am not trying to be mean, just explaining the rules.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you for the information. And just for future reference, it takes a lot for me to get offended.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Can you post a photo of the plastron? Based on the carapace shape, feet and what little can be seen of the head it looks like a North American Wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta. They are native to the Northeast U.S.

Definitely not a Blandings turtle.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I can ask them to provide a picture of the bottom. This is throwing me in different directions! I am not sure what to do in this situation. Definitely of it is a declining species they should not have it. I will ask and post later a picture.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
Can you post a photo of the plastron? Based on the carapace shape, feet and what little can be seen of the head it looks like a North American Wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta. They are native to the Northeast U.S.

Definitely not a Blandings turtle.

Yeah, I meant western pond turtle, Emys (Acinemys) marmorata, which is a California native, as stated above.

The reason I don't think it's a wood turtle is that wood turtles, like their cousins the box turtles, have a hooked beak. This guy has the "smile" of aquatic turtles. Considering it also has that marbled pattern on its carapace, I think its the native California western pond turtle, Emys (Actinemys) marmorata - a name that refers to the marbling on the carapace.

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
easter 140.JPGblackberry 273.jpg
Blake m said:
Hello, I got a call today from someone who said they found this turtle/tortoise in their front yard. I have no idea what it could possibly be? and help? this is the only image they sent me.

turtle.jpg

looks kinda like my eastern box turtle.

Last edited by a moderator:

acrantophis

5 Year Member
It is without a doubt a western pond turtle. It lives In The closest permanent body of water to that persons house. I live in San Diego and have had people bring them to me a few times. They found them wandering in their yard too. It's a big female let her go :)

M

Maggie Cummings

If they call Fish and Game and give it over to them it will be euthanized. Either keep it or let it go, no need to get it killed because it was found in your yard... I kept one for about 10 years and never once did DF&G come in my house to see it...it went to the Vet a couple of times too. they are an extremely sweet and easy turtle to keep once you get it set up correctly...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Why would they euthanize it? They ended up letting it go by a creek after I looked it up, I hope it was th right choice.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
It was a good choice :) I'm sure the girl was happy to be away from people... and back in the nice water and mud

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Beautiful and you did the right thing. Keep in mind if you have a mystery tort or turtle show up in your path....if you need to move it from danger then do so...but for those of us who have other torts or turtles you do not want to ever expose it to your captives...if indeed it is a wild native it should not ever have contact with or cross contamination risk exposure to captive torts or turtles so if it is released or relocated back into the wild it does not bring disease with it....as well as you do not want exposure to your captives to introduce any new parasite normally housed aok in the wild but hazardous to a captive environment.....

I know if a CDT has been found in or around areas it belongs...and if that tort has been isolated from all other torts it can be returned to its wild land.....either a fish and game warden or biologist for fish and game can physically return to their place....however, not all wardens nor biologists will go out of their way to do this...usually the tort is simply turned over to designated animal shelters set up for CTTC to monitor and collect for permanent adpyption as a captive tort for the rest of its life...

Western Pond Turtles should be held isolated until returned to a suitable wild location if at all possible.....especially such a beautiful healthy looking female...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.