What species is this? box turtle

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What species is this?

It's a 3toed box turtle,,,,looks female

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What species is this?

On second thought,, when I zoomed in on the head it had a reddish coloring. It may be a male, buts its no doubt a 3toed box turtle

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Re: What species is this?

So that's ok that it's in the water then, right? I'm not really familiar with turtles at all and it just looked a little tortoise-y. Since the ad said "tuttle" and it WAS on CL...you just can never be sure what people will do.

Also, that's a pretty common species...I did not google well today.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

No its not ok for him to be living in water like that . Yes they are swimmers but not water turtles . They may swim across a river or creek . These guys are forest turtles . They need to be on dry land .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Kameo37

5 Year Member

Ack, I may have a friend that can help him out. If not, anyone in the DFW area that wants to pick him up? I would, but I've kind of devoted my everything to my sulcata baby.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member

I live in fort worth. I can get him for someone but Im not in a place to take him I'm right before winter

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
RE: What species is this?

I wish it was close to me. I'd take him. Is it possible that is his swimming pool, and he actually has a mostly land enclosure?

Kameo37

5 Year Member

I would think that...except that there appears to be food in there. Like I said though, this is not a species I'm familiar with so maybe that's something people do?
I'm hoping for the best or that at least someone else has recognized this as a possible rescue and is already on it.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What species is this?

lisa127 said:
I wish it was close to me. I'd take him. Is it possible that is his swimming pool, and he actually has a mostly land enclosure?

Let's hope its her pool. Then again, I adopted a box turtle that was kept in water like that from Craigslist... My poor dude actually had a water ring!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: What species is this?

:D Never fails, when my husband is sitting down in that area, there is never an animal needing help. Now he's in CA/NV these next few days, there is one in TX who could use some help. :rolleyes:

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: What species is this?

Jacqui said:
:D Never fails, when my husband is sitting down in that area, there is never an animal needing help. Now he's in CA/NV these next few days, there is one in TX who could use some help. :rolleyes:

Jacqui, I could get him and keep him for you buy I can't permanently take him in right now

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He looks a lot like my three toed. Same shell pattern.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Actually three toed will spend a great deal of time in shallow water. My adults will crawl into their pools and spend hours there. It is not ok to house them in water like that, but alternating and letting them hang out in water is good for them. This one is beautiful! I wish I had seen it. I would have gone and adopted it.