WHAT SIZE??

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi Guys,
Just wondered I know am a long way off but...what size of tank would be good for an adult?
I cant have a tort table wish I could so.. just wondered? And where I live cant have him outside
either? Thanks

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Excuse me, but just what kind of tortoise are you refereeing to? Usually most tanks are not adequate for the majority of commonly kept tortoises.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi Guys,
Just wondered I know am a long way off but...what size of tank would be good for an adult?
I cant have a tort table wish I could so.. just wondered? And where I live cant have him outside
either? Thanks

For an adult yellow foot, I'd be thinking more 'what size room' not 'what size tank' is going to work - if he'll only have an indoor enclosure, no tank is going to cut it. A spare bedroom (or an area of your basement) converted into a tortoise habitat might work though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I looked back at your old threads and it looks like you have a yellowfoot, right? If so there's no such thing as a big enough tank. I think someone's suggestion above about a room is more like it. How handy are you? If you or someone you know is able then I would build a custom table. You can make it out of wood and then waterproof it. You would also have to make it humid by making it sof a closed chamber. Where do you plan on putting this? How much space are you able to give it?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi I don't know how to post on this app so I was wondering how to do it, I was also going to ask what size outdoor pen do u think I can keep one male and two female red foot tortoises in
Hello. It would be best for you to start your own thread. On the app hit the arrow on the top left corner until you get to a list of topics. Go to browse then tortoise topics then species specific and then to your type of tortoise. Once you get to that section hit the button on the top right corner of the screen and choose new topic. Then you can start your thread from there.
I hope that was somewhat clear :) I don't know enough about red flats to give you a good answer. But usually it can be summed up with "the bigger the better".

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi,
Yes but what size? Maybe like a 100g? Thanks What kind of tort do u have?

I may be wrong, but I think the footprint of a 100 gallon tank is typically something like 5' to 6' x 24" to 18". I think it would be very unkind to keep an *adult* yellow foot in that space. You have a long time before that is an issue through.

My current interest in the forum actually came from a desire to help take care of a discarded subadult yellow foot that I facilitated transfer into a new home for. It's not a small animal. I'd be thinking more 'room' or greenhouse in our climate - at best, you'll get four months with outside access. At worst, only two. He'll need somewhere to move around safely indoors.

I know this thread is kind of old but I have some input. I have a male Russian tortoise that I keep in a 4×2 "tank" I converted an old book shelf into a tank by taking out the shelves. I had my dad build a second story so my little guys has some climbing areas. It really depends on how large your tortoise gets. Another thing I do (under supervision) is let my tortoise roam around daily, whether that's inside or out, it helps him get his energy out.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
Thanks for all your in put. I wish I did have a room or live where Sunny
could be outside all the time. lol I might when he gets older and bigger
into someone helping me build something for him. Or maybe by that time
my 19 year old would have moved out and Sunny can move in. lol I have
cats though so I have to have something with a strong top, I have seen
them on Sunnys. Thanks