What Oscar has done for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm raising three boys, help my husband with his business, have two part time "on-call" jobs, with a third one in the works. I'm not a perfectionist but rather am often overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done. I love nature and the outdoors, and grew up in a backwoods area. Spending my days riding my horse and hiking with my dog. These days there is an occasional camping trip, or hike. But its not the priority I wish it could be.
I do have a houseful of critters, and enjoy them all with their individual personalities and antics.
However, Oscar has presented me with an opportunity the others have not. While its not magazine cover perfect, I have set up two chairs and a side table next to Oscars yard. There is a potted plant on the table and the chairs are the perfect distance to rest my feet on the wall of the tort yard. I take my morning coffee out, read the paper, one of many books I'm currently trying to read, eat, sit and stare off into space, whatever the moment calls for. I watch Oscar to see what he's up to, I think I'm taking my cues from him. Seek the perfect spot, and enjoy it for all the riches it has to offer. I have my meditative spot, truly a gift I've needed for a long time.

Becki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
Yes, we can certainly learn a lot from them about living in the moment!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know exactly how you feel. There is a seat built in to my Russian pen, and we have a bench alongside the Redfoot pen as well. I sit a lot and read or just relax and watch them do their thing and listen to the waterfall. It is nice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few years ago my daughter gave me a porch swing for Mother's Day. I had my son-in-law set it up out by the pond. Its a GREAT way to while away a cool evening.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises are the perfect example for our hectic lives, They move slowly thru life, but they can put the speed on when needed, only when needed. Otherwise they move thru life at a determined pace. Only putting on speed when needed.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm with you Sarah. After raising 5 boys, I am so happy to have a little piece of country living in my own backyard to relax in and enjoy some wild life and nature. :D I have a lounge chair right next to Pio's enclosure and I love to lay there and read while glancing at him every now and then. He will come right up to the edge of the enclosure and just sit next to my feet while I'm reading. Next to my boxie garden, I have a little table and two chairs where I have my AM coffee....sometimes even bring my breakfast out there too....while waiting for the boxies to finish eating their AM meal. I get to watch them and see if the little guys are getting their share of the food. Then I go on the other side of the house and pick some veggies for lunch or supper, or to chop up for the boxies and Pio. Ahhhh.....Summer. It will be over all too soon for me.....and Pio too!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Some people say watching a fish in a tank is relaxing, for me its watching my torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.