how hot is too hot?

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
just placed a 100W powersun mercury vapor UVB lamp inside my enclosure. enclosure is approx 50" long, 20" deep and 26" tall. MVB bulb is located in the far right front corner, humid hide is on the far left side. temp inside hide stays between 80-82, temp just outside hide stays around 88, temp on the far right back corner stays around 95, temp under lamp is about 100-110. i have a che on thermostat set at 80. i was using a reptisun 10.0 compact flourescent bulb but it quit working so i decided to try the powersun. my enclosure is made of wood with a screen top covered 3/4 with plexiglass and the entire top is covered with a 4-fold sheet to keep humidity levels up, humidity never falls below 80, usually around 90 or better. are these temps too hot?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
To recap what you listed:
Humid hide 80-82 - good
Outside hide 88 - good
Back corner 95 - good
Basking 100-110 - good/ok (I try to keep it closer to 100 than 110 but sometimes mine creeps up that high)
Thermostat set to 80 - good
Humidity 80-90 - great.

I think you are all set!! :D :D

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
the basking temp does worry me some but i have the lamp hung as high as possible. i have a stone just under the lamp and i've noticed samson sometimes lays out right smack dab in the middle and other times he lays on the outer edges, sometimes with his rear end facing the heat and sometimes head first, i guess that depends on what part of his body needs warmed up!!