What Lurks Under Your Food Dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This would turn a lot of people off but I love it. Last fall when I wasn't able to hibernate the baby boxies,I didn't have the best varied diet for them all winter. So I started this project in case it happens again.It's taken awhile but seems to be working.Along with these I am raising meal worms and earth worms.---on the bowl are pill bugs,slugs and little snails.Len

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have all kinds of creepy crawlies, pill bugs, worms, snails, slugs, and I sometimes also find confused flour beetles under the newspaper in my bird cage, and I feed those to the babies. I drop in a few pinhead crickets whenever I get to a town where I can buy some.

My babies love Mazuri, too, and eat greens and mushrooms, so they get a pretty good variety of stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually find red worms. I always wonder how they got in there. Eggs must've come in with the potting soil I used.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
??Len?? said:
This would turn a lot of people off but I love it. Last fall when I wasn't able to hibernate the baby boxies,I didn't have the best varied diet for them all winter. So I started this project in case it happens again.It's taken awhile but seems to be working.Along with these I am raising meal worms and earth worms.---on the bowl are pill bugs,slugs and little snails.Len

What looks like a gross-out to you looks mighty tasty to our torts/boxies...my torts/boxies eat those things everytime they see 'em. :cool:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I only get ants under the outside food bowl, nothing inside thank goodness...

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Oh wow. Way gross! At the same time.. pretty neat.. its like you have an ecosystem in there kinda :)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
ants and beetles... and RV doesn't care......

happy you can have some home grown goodness for your babies..

teri

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only had one baby Three Toed that I had to keep in this Winter. Last Fall when I made her vivarium, I threw in a load of little worms, and some pill bugs in there. They eat the left over food and multiply like crazy. Each day when I take out the water dish to wash it that little boxie will run over to eat as many pill bugs as she can catch. There are loads in there now. No slugs....I can't stand those things.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I feed on a lovely piece of sandstone, and *never* pick it up, so I have no idea what's under there!

Status
Not open for further replies.