Substrate for my eastern box hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Today I set up the tank that the 3 new hatchlings will be in for awhile. Here are some pics of how I did it. The first pic is where the substrate comes from, it is aged plant material from the base of an old maple tree. Today I used a 2 gallon bucket to sift the material into, it was sifted thru 1/4 inch rat wire(pic 2). pic 3 shows the full bucket, and on the screen is what didn't fit thru. pic 4 is a closeup of the substrate. pic 5 is the tank setup, you can't see it but I made the hide out of lego's and covered it with some of the larger material, added some pill bugs, will add earth worms tomorrow. the white bowl is used for feeding pill bugs and meal worms because the bugs can't climb out but the turtles can go in and out with ease. This substrate is great for hatchlings not just box turtles but anything that requires moisture and likes to hide, it is easy to dig into. I have never had a mold or fungus problem and been doing this for years.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
this is interesting, thank you! i just posted asking something like this. now i have to figure out how to decontaminate the cool log i found :D

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.