What kinds of Clover?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So i was looking for clover seeds to plant to mix in to Simon's (baby leopard tortoise) diet, and i found that there are like a million different clover types. When you guys say clover to feed are you talking about like Shamrock clovers?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, shamrock is usually oxalis, and it is high in oxalates and not a good tortoise food. Crimson, white, there are over 200 different clovers. The latin name should include "trifolium."

M

Maggie Cummings

I cut great amount of crimson clover and white clover for my Sulcata...

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Okay great! I ordered some white clover to plant while its still too cold outside. Is this something I should feed daily?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I got a can of white clover from Home Depot. It is on the isle where the different kinds of lawn seeds are.

M

Maggie Cummings

Okay great! I ordered some white clover to plant while its still too cold outside. Is this something I should feed daily?
My Sulcata is over 100 pounds and on a pretty good diet, so some clover won't hurt him. Some people won't feed clover at all. During the Spring and Summer he will eat clover daily with all the other grasses weeds and hay he eats...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Variety!
As part of a good variety foods, everything is good! You cover all nutritional bases that way.
Food is the best medicine. Variety of stuff, variety of nutrients and less likely to suffer malnourishment.

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
Variety is the name of the game! Mine always ate well and a variety but when I started adding red, white, yellow clover (grown from my tortoise supply broadleaf seed mix) to his other greens variety he started eating more of everything esp the stuff he wouldn't touch before. So I'm happy. And he's growing like a weed.

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
I grew a large, beautiful planter of clover varieties (white, red etc) for mine and they won't touch them. Maybe when they are older ... but next time I will test a smaller tray before planting too much and see what they will actually eat. I trust they know whats best for them.