What kind of Tortoise?

Omicron

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Found this little guy in my backyard. I live in Southern Indana, and have had no luck identifying this tortoise on the internet. If someone could tell me what kind of tortoise this is that would be great!

Killerrookie

That's a Box Turtle and looks like a hybrid of some sort. Never seen one this unique before.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Beautiful box turtle. If it's native, and I'd bet it is, you should put it back in your yard. If you think it's an escaped pet, you should try to find its owner. I don't know what your local laws are concerning ownership or taking native turtles from the wild.
If you can keep it, it should have an outdoor summer habitat.

We used to find the same box turtle in our garden every summer in Louisville.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You have a young (and native) female Terrapene carolina carolina, or an eastern box turtle. She will get her more colorful carapace pattern as she ages. Eastern box turtles are protected in Indiana, so learn your state regulations about taking them from the wild.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We have them here in Michigan too, although I haven't really seem them out in the wild ... yet. ;D Lovely photos!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please do put it back into the wild. There are not enough of them in the wild. Lots lost years ago due to the pesticide a few or most northern states used to kill mosquitoes. Slowly, very slowly, native species are making a come back.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I hate to disagree with Yvonne, but I think this is a male Eastern boxie, not a female. Looks like the plastron has the telltale concave spot to me. But I could be wrong. Either way, definitely EBT and should be put back as he/she is native to your area and most likely wild

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very beautiful EBT.

Is she back to the wild? or you decided to keep? Just wondering. No judgement.