What kind of tortoise is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
While vacationing in Melbourne FL, I found this beauty.. does anyone know what kind of tortoise this is? ImageUploadedByTortForum1371677268.805584.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Looks like a gopher tortoise to me, but I'm bad at this stuff

Well I looked them up and they do live in Florida so I might have actually been right this time! WOO! They are native to Florida where they are a threatened species

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Looks like a gopher to me too. Best to let him be on his way, they're protected :) but he/she is gorgeous!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why don't we have tortoises that big in the Houston area :huh::huh:

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

zulu

5 Year Member
Melbourne, FL
If your in Melbourne its probably a gopher. I live in Melbourne and see these around all the time. They are considered threatened. The tortoises and their burrow are protected by state law because over 350 species use their burrows. Their are several parks around here where you can run into several of these on a short walk. There is one that lives by my moms house, it loves to poop on her front porch. I think its great, but she's not that into it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Melbourne or not, That is indeed a gopherus polyphemus(Florida, alabama, mississippi gopher tortoise). They are protected by state law/

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yep we left Mr. Gopher be on his way right after we moved him out of the street and took a quick photo shoot :)

I wish I lived somewhere where I could see tortoises randomly walking in the wild :) (even if they poop on my porch)

I wish I lived somewhere where I could see tortoises randomly walking in the wild :) (even if they poop on my porch)

Status
Not open for further replies.