what kind of tort is this?

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Does any one know what kind of tort this is? Neighbor found walking in the street. ..almost got his but luckily she got it it first

Screenshot_2015-11-05-16-24-57.png

Last edited by a moderator:

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
an upside down one ;)

... sorry couldn't resist. im not sure sorry :( someone should be able to help though:)

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Im thinking wild...we know most neighbors and no pets that we no of..but don't know for sure..she came to me cause she knows of my love for them. She lives by a ditch and dried up creek.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a Texas tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri). They're protected by law and no one is allowed to have them unless you have a permit.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
That did occur to me but ive seen tx torts and it just didn't look like that to me its shell is pretty smooth and the coloring is like a straw or hay color. ...but ill take your word and expertise. ...it should probably be released just hope it doesn't get hurt:(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That did occur to me but ive seen tx torts and it just didn't look like that to me its shell is pretty smooth and the coloring is like a straw or hay color. ...but ill take your word and expertise. ...it should probably be released just hope it doesn't get hurt:(
From time to time this species will have very lightly colored specimens like the one you found. We had a couple males that were representative of this young one. Some are very dark and some are mixture and some are very blonde.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
We asked most our neighbors but she is gonna hold him through the weekend and put a sign up. Its been identified as a tx tort and i understand they are against law to keep without permit.