What kind of tort do I have?

maeflower15

5 Year Member
I've had her for quite a while now. My tortoise was handed down to me when I was 7 because my older sister didn't want her (rude!), but she never told me what species she was. She did tell me she was some kind of box tortoise, but there are many different kinds and I would like to know so I can care for her better. Thanks! (P.s., I'm going in to the vet soon to get her beak trimmed. She never lets me do it myself :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466437678.883783.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466437695.838194.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You have a box turtle. Someone more experienced with them than me will confirm the species for you, but care is similar for all of them.

They need water, humidity, an omnivorous diet, and a UV source indoors if they don't get real sunshine outdoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You've had this turtle for 39 years?????????

Your new turtle is a Terrapene carolina triunguis, or more commonly called a three toed box turtle. They have three toes on the back feet.

Because your turtle has been fed either soft foods or cut up foods, her beak has grown very long and needs to be trimmed. If you allow it to continue to grow like that eventually it will start to grow outward similar to a duck's bill. The toenails are quite long too.

Do you have a nice outdoor habitat for the turtle?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow, that's a long time to care for a box turtle. Great job. As observed the beak could do with a bit of a trim. But considering the length of time and the care you have provided (obviously reasonable good) that beak trim is minor. Un-soaked aquatic turtle pellets and with time the beak will get worn down, or a quick vet visit (probably some office visit fee and then the actual procedure) could be about $120 to $170.

The deal with that shape beak, is it very slowly leads to diet change and potential ill health. They will select what they can eat, based on being able to get their mouth on it. It's difficult to consider how long you've cared for that box turtle and only have the little bit of a beak issue, has it been trimmed before? Maybe have the vet check out those toenails too, LOL

Great story, maybe your sister didn't know either?

maeflower15

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, thank you for all of the help! I do in fact have an outdoor enclosure for her. I've had her for many years now, and I swear her toenails will not stop growing! I just trimmed them a couple weeks ago and now we have to do it again LOL.

maeflower15

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, thank you for all of the help! I do in fact have an outdoor enclosure for her. I've had her for many years now, and I swear her toenails will not stop growing! I just trimmed them a couple weeks ago and now we have to do it again LOL.
Oh, also, I've only had her for 12 years.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

That's a gorgeous box turtle.GOD bless.