what kind of plants???

TardisTortoise

10 Year Member!
I believe setting up an aquatic turtle habitat is no different that taking on setting up an aquarium as far as water quality is concerned. You should never set up an aquarium, put in you desired fish, and then do frequent water changes until you can get the right filtration. You set it up and let the filter establish, carefully understocking at first. Once the bacteria is doing its job, you will have the healthiest water. My pond is 10,000 gallons, but I was not referring to that at all in my previous post. My indoor tanks all average between 15 - 30 gallons of water. Most are set up shallow for the well being and health of the hatchlings and yearlings. All have ample filter systems designed to do the job and eliminate water changes. Established water is the healthiest vs. newly changed water.

The NH4, NO3, NO2 cycle, which is normally the NH4, NO2, NO3 or Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate cycle should only be of main concern when the system is new. Once established the whole idea is to never have an elevated reading of NO2 or NH4 in your system as the biological filter is doing its job. The eventual build up of NO3 or nitrate has to reach extremely high levels to really affect fish, and don't even know when it would affect turtles.

What kind of plants do you use? Do your turtles eat them? I am still a beginer when it comes to aquatic turtles. I want to create the best environment possible.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What kind of plants do you use? Do your turtles eat them? I am still a beginer when it comes to aquatic turtles. I want to create the best environment possible.
Depends upon the type of turtle. Cooters eat them. Western pond, Sliders and painted pick at them. Spotted and musk leave them alone.

My favorite is Wedelia Chinensis Got some from an pond place once and have propagated it ever since. Have it in my pond and tanks. Water hyacinth are one of the best at removing nitrates, but like really bright light. Pothos Ivy also is great and grows almost anywhere. I've even used arrowhead and spider plant.

If you have turtles that eat the plant, I just have the roots in a second filter and keep the plant draped up over the edge of the tank. I'll let some drape into the water and give places to hang for the turtles.

Here's a plant in my spotted hatchling tank. I just stuck it in a bottom drain screen I turned upside down. Look how healthy it is! The "plant" in the water is a plastic garland for hiding and hanging out.

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Great idea and help for aquatic planting. The Habitat for Humanity store has a bunch of those for cheap.