What kind of moss do you use in your sulcatas hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexIbarra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
I'm planning on going to the pet store today and want to pick up some moss to put in my sulcatas hide box to make it more humid in there.
What kind do you recommend?
Thanks!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have heard that ecoearth works well and is supposed to be natural.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you talking about substrate for you humid hide box or long fibered moss to stuff in there for "burrowing"? Same yourself some time money and hassle and go to the hardware store instead. They usually have better, more appropriate stuff, in bulk and cheaper.

I usually use coco coir inside my boxes and then stuff a bunch of that greenish mossy stuff in there. Soil or a mixture will work fine too. I've only recently started adding the "burrowing" material. Its working well so far. Daisy seems to like it. If you do it too, keep us posted on ow it works out for you.

AlexIbarra

5 Year Member
Ventura, CA
Tom said:
Are you talking about substrate for you humid hide box or long fibered moss to stuff in there for "burrowing"? Same yourself some time money and hassle and go to the hardware store instead. They usually have better, more appropriate stuff, in bulk and cheaper.

I usually use coco coir inside my boxes and then stuff a bunch of that greenish mossy stuff in there. Soil or a mixture will work fine too. I've only recently started adding the "burrowing" material. Its working well so far. Daisy seems to like it. If you do it too, keep us posted on ow it works out for you.

They have a mix of Cypress mulch and coco coir as substrate. It's also in their hide, but I wanted to add something else that I can keep moist to add more humidity and they can burrow in. I got them some sphagnum moss and put it in their hide yesterday evening. They didn't seem to like it too much. They went in and came right back out. lol They both slept next to their hide instead of in it last night. Right now one of them is laying in there though, so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure they'll get used to it.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm always using the expensive stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.