What is this?

TamaraS6

I have recently adopted a horsefield tortoise off a neighbour of mine. He recently had a stroke and was in no good shape to look after a tortoise so doing the right thing decided she needed re-homing. Therefore I'm new to all this so any advice possible would be perfect!

It's a she, approx 5-6 years old. Living in a large tortoise table, beech chips, (hoping to replace this to top soil but as said new) this is what we got her with. Her diet consists of tortoise specific food from local pet shops and we try to give her as much salad etc as poss that we can since we've had her... However, I've noticed that these small red patches have appeared on her skin and I'm so worried! Can anyone please help? She's so active, eating really well so looks very healthy!

The marks are on each side of the neck and also a small patch on each leg as shown. I can see her she'll is growing slightly also.

Thank you!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TamaraS6

I should also add that she's allowed to roam the garden frequently (all is protected and safe so she can't escape!)

Thank you! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

That is not a horsfield. Its either a hermanni or a Greek.

Those red spots look like some sort of mechanical damage. Has this tortoise been living alone? Where does it sleep at night? Any chance of rodents? That is a very unusual place to see damage like that.

TamaraS6

I didn't think she was a horse field either due to having 5 toes at the front rather than 4! Before with her previous owner she was kept in a glass vivarium (I know these are awful and not ideal due to stressing them out) and she used to stand herself up in the corners, and so we've purchased a tortoise table which came this week. It is kept indoors so no chance of rodents at all! And yes she's alone. I completely agree with it being in such a strange place at all. Her shell (I think) is growing (you can just see where it's growing ever so slightly) so I'm wondering whether it's rubbing on her skin as she tucks away perhaps? It's not sore for her as she's more than happy for me to touch it and bathe it. I'm just not sure as to what it is at all and it's very worrying! Also, how can I prevent it from getting any worse? As I said, she's a very happy, active (and very speedy) tortoise who definitely loves getting up to lots of mischief!!

TamaraS6

These are a few previous images that I have taken, do you think she's a hermanni or Greek then? And do you think she is even a she? Thanks so much for your help! As I said, the previous owner had a stroke and was not a very well man for some time so I've taken her on! Just want to help her get better and make sure she's alright!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
It looks like she got her head stuck in something and cut up the skin on her neck trying to get it out. If you find out that this isn't possible then...

How's the humidity? I know marginated torts don't need to be kept too humid but I'd imagine they need 50-60%. Does she have access to clean water at all times? The location of the wound on her neck, especially because it's on both sides, makes it possible that her skin was too dry and cracked open when she stretched out her neck. The leg looks like it could've been scraped against her shell and split open due to lack of lubrication (dry skin). This happens a lot with RFs, not sure about marginated torts, so someone who actually has experience with them please correct me if I'm wrong!

I recommend putting Neosporin or any triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds for now, until you figure out what's causing them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
These are a few previous images that I have taken, do you think she's a hermanni or Greek then? And do you think she is even a she? Thanks so much for your help! As I said, the previous owner had a stroke and was not a very well man for some time so I've taken her on! Just want to help her get better and make sure she's alright!

View attachment 184475 View attachment 184476 View attachment 184477
Sorry, do not know what species she is. But a cute little tort, that I can tell you! :D

What is the weather like back there? Please make sure she's warm, and that there's enough humidity.:) Give her daily soaks in warm water.

TamaraS6

She/he is adorable! Thought it was a she but now pretty sure it's a he! Bellatrix is no longer a Bellatrix!

It's been really warm lately but changes to raining and very cold the next day. I definitely think daily soaks is something I'm going to have to do! Hopefully this might help it a lot!

Thank you!:)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If it wasn't obvious, I can't tell these species apart. :p

How are the wounds doing? Any signs of healing?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
It looks like she got her head stuck in something and cut up the skin on her neck trying to get it out. If you find out that this isn't possible then...

How's the humidity? I know marginated torts don't need to be kept too humid but I'd imagine they need 50-60%. Does she have access to clean water at all times? The location of the wound on her neck, especially because it's on both sides, makes it possible that her skin was too dry and cracked open when she stretched out her neck. The leg looks like it could've been scraped against her shell and split open due to lack of lubrication (dry skin). This happens a lot with RFs, not sure about marginated torts, so someone who actually has experience with them please correct me if I'm wrong!

I recommend putting Neosporin or any triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds for now, until you figure out what's causing them.
I second the idea of applying Neosporin. If the skin is dry, that'll keep it moist, too.