What is this flakey spot on Nodder's carapace? pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Nodder woke up with this flakey white spot on his new growth yesterday.
It's not hard water stains and he's really not dry. I've never experienced anything but a beautiful shell and smooth brown new growth, so I'm a bit perplexed and spoiled ;)
At first I thought he may have scraped it on his hide, but he doesn't hit it in that spot and there is usually red powder from the pot if he does scrape it.
Any thoughts?

photo_zpsc700a97d.jpg

photo_zpsda476153.jpg

photo_zps2fafd479.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's new to me. Looks like some sort of dry spot or infection of some sort. Can you scrape it away with your fingernail? I'd give it a little betadine scrub with a tooth brush and keep an eye on it.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Wow, he has a nice smooth beautiful shell! Please share your secrets as I am a new sully momma and totally paranoid about pyramiding!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
shellibelli72 said:
Wow, he has a nice smooth beautiful shell! Please share your secrets as I am a new sully momma and totally paranoid about pyramiding!

Thank you!
I found that misting him about 10 times a day has worked wonders in the fight against pyramiding. A humid hide as well of course.
Good luck!

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
lisalove said:
Nodder woke up with this flakey white spot on his new growth yesterday.
It's not hard water stains and he's really not dry. I've never experienced anything but a beautiful shell and smooth brown new growth, so I'm a bit perplexed and spoiled ;)
At first I thought he may have scraped it on his hide, but he doesn't hit it in that spot and there is usually red powder from the pot if he does scrape it.
Any thoughts?

photo_zpsc700a97d.jpg

photo_zpsda476153.jpg

photo_zps2fafd479.jpg

Wow, your Sulcata has a beautiful shell!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Your sulcata does have a beautiful shell. I thought that maybe it scraped it against concrete but if it flakes off with your fingernail than I guess that is not the case. I would go with whatever Tom suggests. I would also pm maggie or Yvonne and see if they have any ideas. I know that they are good with tortoises. Good Luck and keep us posted. :)

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
lovelyrosepetal said:
Your sulcata does have a beautiful shell. I thought that maybe it scraped it against concrete but if it flakes off with your fingernail than I guess that is not the case. I would go with whatever Tom suggests. I would also pm maggie or Yvonne and see if they have any ideas. I know that they are good with tortoises. Good Luck and keep us posted. :)

Thanks!
Funny-I pm'd them when I created the thread!
Great minds!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what it is, but it wouldn't hurt anything to scrub it with a brush, dry it well, then put on a dab of athlete's foot cream.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
I don't know what it is, but it wouldn't hurt anything to scrub it with a brush, dry it well, then put on a dab of athlete's foot cream.

Thanks Yvonne!
Do you think foot cream over Betadine scrubs or both?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
It looks like there are a few spots. Are all of the spots flaky? I think that the Betadine scrub is just a one time thing, but I could be wrong. I thought betadine cleans well but if you used it more than once it kills the good blood cells that help to heal your wound. That might not apply to the carapace. I am sure someone will let you know if I am wrong.:)

M

Maggie Cummings

Can you flake any off? Does the spot when scraped smell or does it feel soft?
Nodder is just beautiful. His carapace is not only smooth but he's a beautiful color.
Use the betadine wash only once.

lovelyrosepetal is exactly correct in that the betadine does kill off healthy cells and you don't want that!
I personally would use Nolvasan several times a day. Mix 20 parts water with 1 part Nolvasan, and just squirt the spots several times during the day whenever you think of it. It looks like rot to me, but if that's the case Yvonne would have picked up on it, and she hasn't. So I'd use the athletes foot stuff once a day and Nolvasan wash several times and watch carefully to see if more sprouts out?

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks Maggie! Yes, I can flake it off, no smell, feels a little soft and a bit tender to him. Does look like the growth under it is dark brown which makes me feel a LITTLE better.
He really is a beautiful color--thanks ;)
I have worked hard on keeping him smooth and he's now 8 inches, so it must be working!!!
My husband is getting Nolvasan right now.
Will follow the advice!
Thank you.

maggie3fan said:
Can you flake any off? Does the spot when scraped smell or does it feel soft?
Nodder is just beautiful. His carapace is not only smooth but he's a beautiful color.
Use the betadine wash only once.

lovelyrosepetal is exactly correct in that the betadine does kill off healthy cells and you don't want that!
I personally would use Nolvasan several times a day. Mix 20 parts water with 1 part Nolvasan, and just squirt the spots several times during the day whenever you think of it. It looks like rot to me, but if that's the case Yvonne would have picked up on it, and she hasn't. So I'd use the athletes foot stuff once a day and Nolvasan wash several times and watch carefully to see if more sprouts out?

Tom brought up a great point to me. He is outside a lot. Wouldn't sunshine kill off any fungus on him, especially on top of his carapace?
Thoughts or ideas?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I would imagine that the sunshine should kill off any fungus but I don't know. I am giving you a bump and am hoping that someone else will respond.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
lovelyrosepetal said:
I would imagine that the sunshine should kill off any fungus but I don't know. I am giving you a bump and am hoping that someone else will respond.

Thanks for the bump, but I've learned over the years that a reply to questions and even pictures are VERY hit and miss, much more often the latter!!! ;) I appreciated everyone's help and he seems to be looking a tad better.
If I'm really desperate, I PM the person that I feel has the best knowledge for the situation.
I'll soon be showing 'bragging' pics again!
Thanks a bunch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.