What is Scooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
Ok, so after joining the group, and realizing it is not so easy to identify and sex tortoises, I wonder if my Scooter is really what I was told he was! I got him from a friend, who got him from a friend, who got him from a reptile show, so who knows? I was told he was a Russian male, adult. I took some pics, anyone want to confirm or deny that? Also captive bred or wild caught? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vicki

Attachments

• DSC_0269.JPG
    DSC_0269.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0268.JPG
    DSC_0268.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0272.JPG
    DSC_0272.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0273.JPG
    DSC_0273.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0276.JPG
    DSC_0276.JPG
    857.7 KB · Views: 31

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
I'd say he's exactly what you've been told.

I would also guess wild caught, but I'm no expert.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Russian for sure, don't know if its captive bred or wild caught..

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
I have no idea, I'm def not an expert! Just wanted to say that Scooter is a really cool name for a tortoise!

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
Thank you all so far, thank you bubbles01, that was my kids' idea and well, it was too cute to pass up!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russian male, I am gonna disagree with the captive born diagnosis, looks wild caught to me, where did you get him from?

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
I got him from a friend, whose friend got him for him from a reptile show. So, after passing thru that many hands, I didn't get a lot of background. The original friend wasn't a tort person, but a snake person, so he didn't ask many questions, just knew his friend liked torts. Unfortunately his gf wasn't pleased, so when I expressed interested, he agreed to sell him to me to make everyone happy.

Clear as mud??? LOL

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Definitely wild-caught, his shell is as beat up as my Sheldon's.

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
Not sure where is the best place to measure, but he seems to be at least 5 1/2 inches, almost 6 , depending on where I measure and that is not bending the tape. Isn't that pretty big? Any guesses on his age?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put your tape measure up against the wall at 0" and pull it out away from the wall. Sit the tortoise on it, pushing him up against the wall so his shell is touching. You measure a tortoise in a straight line front to back and this is called the SCL measurement.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks to be a very nice Russian, you did good!

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
Ok, measured like you said emysemys and he is 6 1/4" ! Thanks Jacqui! I think he is pretty awesome!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Definitely male Horsfield, mostly likely wild-caught...odd that the snake-keeper's gf balked at a tortoise (often, it's the other way around!)

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
That's where the clear as mud part comes in, lol. The snake keeper picked him up for our mutual friend. The snake keeper has a wife and they raise snakes, no issues there. It was the mutual friend whose gf didn't want the tort, he is not allowed snakes either. I know what you're thinking, bye bye gf, that is what we all keep telling him! LOL

M

Maggie Cummings

I disagree, I don't think his shell looks beat up or scarred. I think it looks to be in pretty good shape. I think he is captive bred. I agree they are usually wild caught when you get them from a pet store. But to me this guy looks pretty good...not that it matters:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.