What is Killer doing?

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
He has been scratching at the corner of his enclosure for over an hour. I feel he's lacking something but not sure what. He's left marks on the wood. I took a video but I can't post it here so here are a few screenshots of it. I'm very new to this I've only had him a few days and this is the first time he's done this. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393801813.601820.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393801827.516263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Is his enclosure big enough? My Russian used to do that when I first got him because he didn't have enough room to roam around, but he stopped one I made him a bigger house. I also added more "obstacles" in his house so he would have more to concentrate on while he moved around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians in the wild cover a very large area of land, very large. Even though they are small, they do need a big enclosure. Can you add onto the enclosure or maybe even add some more obstacles like mentioned above. He may be happy with enough substrate to bury himself, if you don't already have it deep enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Killer is telling you that he needs a much larger enclosure. I like 3x6' as a minimum, but 4x8 is better. Even bigger outdoors. Much bigger.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What I learn here is, in the world of Tortoise enclosure, Bigger; diffidently better.

HJ1983

New York City
His enclosure is three feet by two feet and unfortunately that's all the space I can afford to give him right now in my small apartment. I bought that tortoise house that they sell and he doesn't even use side that has a hide hole. Maybe I will just remove it so he can gain another 2 square feet of space and buy him one of those plastic guinea pig thingies. But the obstacle course might be what he needs. I'll take a look around the forum for obstacle course ideas. I don't want to add any more substrate until after I take him to the vet on Saturday and he gets his clean bill of health.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to see if this was answered before but I couldn't find anything. What do you use as obstacles?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
HJ1983 said:
His enclosure is three feet by two feet and unfortunately that's all the space I can afford to give him right now in my small apartment. I bought that tortoise house that they sell and he doesn't even use side that has a hide hole. Maybe I will just remove it so he can gain another 2 square feet of space and buy him one of those plastic guinea pig thingies. But the obstacle course might be what he needs. I'll take a look around the forum for obstacle course ideas. I don't want to add any more substrate until after I take him to the vet on Saturday and he gets his clean bill of health.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to see if this was answered before but I couldn't find anything. What do you use as obstacles?

Get a big rock or a pieces of wood, some plant will work too. As lone as long as it block his sight, then he will think there is some where he can check out around the corner...............

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I have some plants that are actually planted in the enclosures substrate, then I have some planted in pots that I set on top of the substrate (so there's something taller). I also have some different sized rocks that he'll either go around or sometimes up and over depending on the day (but not so tall that he cal flip himself). I'm sure there are more things that you could add for him to walk around and inspect, but those were the first things I could think of including when I made my enclosure and while I was still learning what was tortoise safe :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
What?! You have a Russian named Killer too?!? They look kinda similar!

Attachments

• 1393808000745.jpg
    1393808000745.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 70

HJ1983

New York City
Killer is the best tortoise name! (However, everyone else's tortoise name is awesome too). Ok. So since my first post I have removed the separation wall and added a few things. Here's what it looks like right now. Going to take a walk in Central Park tomorrow (if the snow isn't too bad) and look for rocks and logs. You guys are all amazing. Thank you for all of the help. I love this forum. I wish there was one for my bunnies. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393808538.572356.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Another suggestion is to make the substrate much deeper and make hills that he can walk up and down and also did down into. My Russian tortoise loves to dig down into The dirt.

HJ1983

New York City
leigti said:
Another suggestion is to make the substrate much deeper and make hills that he can walk up and down and also did down into. My Russian tortoise loves to dig down into The dirt.

I was going to wait until I took him to the vet to add more substrate just in case there was a chance that he has parasites or worms. I would hate to throw it away since I plan on composting his old substrate on the rooftop garden at the elementary school where I work. But Killer seems stressed. I am going to give him what he needs.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
HJ1983 said:
Killer is the best tortoise name! (However, everyone else's tortoise name is awesome too). Ok. So since my first post I have removed the separation wall and added a few things. Here's what it looks like right now. Going to take a walk in Central Park tomorrow (if the snow isn't too bad) and look for rocks and logs. You guys are all amazing. Thank you for all of the help. I love this forum. I wish there was one for my bunnies.

Good to have you here too.

It is a wonderful place to learn and share.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Here's another idea.. Try burying the plant pot halfway, he may go into it, instead of just putting hay in it. My torts really enjoyed it once I buried it a little

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Add a second story to your torts enclosure. The ramp will be good exercise and the additional space will be appreciated. Check out the enclosure section for ideas.

HJ1983

New York City
I'm a true city girl and lack any skills with tools and a second story isn't in my immediate future. I did however add about two inches of substrate and some wooden bridge that he can climb over or hide inside. He can even turn around in it so it's perfect. I changed his apartment around while he was soaking and he checked everything out climbed over it all moved the pot over a bit put his face in the corner and knocked out for the night. As time goes on I will add more stuff and more substrate and I'm thinking something with a skull. Here's what it looks like during his sleepy time.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: What is Killer doing?

HJ1983 said:
I'm a true city girl and lack any skills with tools and a second story isn't in my

I live in the city, but stick me in a forst or desert and I'll be just fine. It actually isn't hard. If you go to the local petstore, look for two story hamster cages to get inspired!

HJ1983

New York City
Ha I accidentally sent it without finishing.

Here's his house now. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393909344.670578.jpg

I will keep adding as time goes on. And add in a few more inches of substrate so he can dig.

tffnytorts said:
HJ1983 said:
I'm a true city girl and lack any skills with tools and a second story isn't in my

I live in the city, but stick me in a forst or desert and I'll be just fine. It actually isn't hard. If you go to the local petstore, look for two story hamster cages to get inspired!

That's what I did today. I spent a good hour in petco just looking around. As time goes on he will be living in a Lux condo.

HJ1983

New York City
I am not sure if anyone is still curious... I added more substrate and a few play things and he has calmed down with the scratching. However he still does it when his lights go off, and I read that Russians try to dig and sleep and perhaps maybe thats what he is doing? The last few night he has done this behavior and after he dug all the way to the bottom of the enclosure I pick him up and place him in his pot or tunnel and he knocks out until 7am. Only time will tell. Thanks for the advice everyone.