what is he?

Eileen Turpin

Can some body tell me what he/she is so I can care for properly. He is very high strung in his pool on the patio right nosimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Looks like a female Eastern Hermanns to me. Beautiful! :)

Eileen Turpin

Very anxious try's to get out of habitat, I even went and got a wading pool for more space, just walks the perimeter and try's to get out.

surfergirl

My male Hermann did that at first when I got him. he was in a small 10 gallon setup when I rescued him from the previous owners.. he had to be miserable. all winter in a table he was a bit of a pacer. so, I built him an outdoor enclosure in the spring. a 6 x10 and he seems to be getting away from that habit. they want lots of space and he loves his log hideaway now more than the pacing and trying to find a way out. I put up visual barriers in several places, I move them around regularly so he always thinks he is in another place around the corner...hope he does catch on to my tricks. :). I think with time they stop stressing if they get proper care and can roam in larger places than the usual size habitats at 2x3's.

My Hermann's is very social, active and always greets me when I am around his space. they are comical little torts, I hope yours gets settle in and stress free very quickly.

Welcome to the TFO!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Yes they really need lots of space. For an (almost) adult like yours I would recommend a minimum of 10m². ;)

I think a kiddie pool not suitable for a tortoise as big as yours. It's too small and with deep substrate (she should be able to dig in or at least walk without problems, it seems very uncomfortable in the pictures) the walls are probably not high enough to keep her in.

Eileen Turpin

The walls are high enough, my concern is it ma take a month or so to get a larger space built or buy one used. Aside from her wall climbing she is a doll, loves her head petted, I start in her she'll and very gently pet her. I feel bad but I can move any sooner on the space. At night she doesn't care.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's a gorgeous Hermann. GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The walls are high enough, my concern is it ma take a month or so to get a larger space built or buy one used. Aside from her wall climbing she is a doll, loves her head petted, I start in her she'll and very gently pet her. I feel bad but I can move any sooner on the space. At night she doesn't care.
If the walls are high enough add another 5" of substrate so she can dig in and get started with the new enclosure, the month will be over before you know it. ;)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
It's normal for a tortoise to be over active until they settle in. Give the tortoise plenty of hiding spots and as someone else stated deeper substrate.