What is he doing?

turtlelou

5 Year Member
My turtles have come out of hibernation. We are having a lot of rain now. The turtles are loving it. One of my guys keeps blurring his whole face in the dirt. Is he drinking? Is he hunting? He does it for about 30 seconds and then comes up lol. Any ideas? I have never seen him do this...there is a ton of rain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've seen my baby box turtles look around in the substrate for worms. Maybe that's what your turtle is doing. The rain might trigger this action.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
It's really cute. They are all doing it now. I fed them worms that I had found today. They haven't really got out much since waking. They've been hiding in the leaves with just their heads out :).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Picture, Picture, PICTURES...........Hurry......! ! ! !

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's hunting. They dig their face through dirt and leaf litter while they still can because in a few weeks it will all break down and become tougher soil. Right now my box turtles are in full "insect" mode. Later in the year they become more "fruit eaters". I've noticed these trends over the last several years dealing with box turtles. Their appetites adjust as the year progresses. So no worries

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It's really cute. They are all doing it now. I fed them worms that I had found today. They haven't really got out much since waking. They've been hiding in the leaves with just their heads out :).
How fun! What general area of the country do you live in, turtlelou?