What does watery poop mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinmk

5 Year Member
Today my red foot pooped once normal and solid. And a second time about a half hour later but runny and not right. Should i be concerned? What does it mean?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
How long have you had it? Where did you get it from? What has its diet been? If its a one time thing I wouldn't worry. If it keeps happening, and your tortoise is new....a fecal test should probably be done

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
theelectraco said:
How long have you had it? Where did you get it from? What has its diet been? If its a one time thing I wouldn't worry. If it keeps happening, and your tortoise is new....a fecal test should probably be done

Ditto.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Too much cactus pads give mine the runs. If it keeps happening be sure to do some baby food soaks to keep it hydrated. It may just be a one time thing, from something eaten or if new, getting used to its new environment ... had weird poops or no poops when I first got mine ... as they got used to/acclimated to their new home with me.

Kevinmk

5 Year Member
Ive had her about a month from petsmart she eats mainly kale and rep-cal tortoise food and occasionally some banana.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
A more varied diet with greater fiber content may alleviate some of this. Not sure where you live but when/if you can have access to more outdoor weeds, it will benefit your tortoise and can be really fun to collect and feed! Here's a great resource for edible weed identification:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Also good information on diet at tortoiselibrary.com

A fecal check can't hurt, they run from $40-60 depending on your area and vet. We have a good list of vets here on the forum. A varied diet is really beneficial to the health and wellness of our tortoises since we can't feed them the exact diet they'd have in the wild.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
More fiber is a good thing. If you do go out and do some guerilla weed hunting like I do, be very, very sure that you get them from lots or places where you know beyond doubt that there has been no spraying or pesticide usage. I avoid city owned properties because public works in our area is slap happy about using the very toxic and evil Round Up. Other than that, you might be surprised how much weed getting you can get by looking for them. I walk my dog and bring home enough weeds for several days. People look at me funny at times but I just keep pulling what my tortoises might like ... and they do! : )

Kevinmk

5 Year Member
Is common lawn grass high in fiber? Can u be more specific as to what weeds u give ur redfoots?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
If it goes on too long your tort has a higher risk of a prolapse....which is costly to fix.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Kevinmk said:
Is common lawn grass high in fiber? Can u be more specific as to what weeds u give ur redfoots?

Plantain (Plantago spp. - not the fruit), dandelion greens & flowers, common mallow, hibiscus, rose of sharon, violets (sweet violet, dog violet, johnny jump ups, pansy, etc.), wild grape, clover...the list goes on. This is why I sent you the link in my previous post. You'll find all of these on there and more.

Here it is again:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Attached is the booklet in PDF format

Attachments

• Edible Plant Collection_First Edition_18 Jan 11.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 56

Kevinmk

5 Year Member
That website is awesome! Thankyou very much. Today i gave her a variety of stuff i was able to find including some grass and some iceplant. Thanks again

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Watery bowels in tortoises are about the same as in humans- too much sugary fruit, etc. and/or not enough fiber. It MAY mean parasites or illness, but I would not go there without a few more symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.