What do you do

dds7155

5 Year Member
I brought a baby leopard 6 or 7 weeks old from a forum member about , i wasn't going to say anything , but i think he's using the forum to sell his babies by saying he was one of the originals on the forum ,member since 2008, when i got the baby i was shocked by the pyramiding at such a young age, i never seen one so young so pyramiding,, one thing the baby is healthy as can be and had a great personality , i blame my self a bit cause i kept the baby , he sent pictures but they were so dark you couldn't see , i do have my tortoises set up by toms suggestions, also he was charging 125.00 shipped . i sure would and should have spent the extra money on a baby raised the right way ,,i been waiting to write the post since i got him but just hated to,, i hope you can see the pyramiding in the pics, thanks

Attachments

• day i got him.jpg
    day i got him.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 103
  • photouyp.jpg
    photouyp.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 105

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
a side shot of the tort wouldve showed it a lot better, but you can see it. keep up the soaks and humidity. you have nothing to worry about, no need to feel bad. the little guy should outgrow any pyramiding so long as you keep up with the hydration.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your really feeling as strongly about this as your saying you do then, write a vendor review. Without a vendor review nobody will know to look carefully at pictures from this person.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would also suggest for anyone buying from a forum member. Check out the post and threads they have done. There a so many members that do not really participate. Most likely, they will have very few post or threads. I would gamble that if that's the case, they haven't really taken advantage of all the good, new info on here. Even with pyramiding, he's still beautiful and will still be a great tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It really doesn't look too bad.

Everyone does things a little differently here and some of the members here still think babies should be out in the sun in a hot dry climate all day. I'm guessing that was the case with this one. Undersized and starting to pyramid is the usual result of keeping a baby outdoors for hours a day... Can you confirm or deny my suspicion?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I say just as you tell people, post reviews, about the positive dealings with member breeders, we need to also share our reviews when negative.
Word of mouth and adaptation to the current methods only will take place by review.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't worry at all. With his current size, if you continue soaks and proper care this will surely be a beautiful smooth tortoise. I've seen WAY worse , even at that size.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I agree with diamondbp, but feel a vendor review is still in order. This has not to do with how this tortoise will fare over the course of its life, but more to do with how the vendor presented themselves. When I purchased 2 hatchlings from Tom, I based this from his reputation. Had no one post reviews, positive or negative, my friend and I would not have them happy, healthy tortoises we have now. Without reviews, we really don't now what we are getting ourselves into.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think he looks bad at all. No sense in looking backward. Move forward and give this new baby the best care possible. He'll grow up to be a big, beautiful leopard tortoise!

This wasn't a bad buy at all. Good price, cute little baby.