What do SoCal Sulcatas do on chilly days?

Ellie Mae

So, as some of you know, I'm a new sulcata owner and still trying to figure this what I thought to be (ha!) low maintenance animal out. I have the heated night box, which I lock him in at night. I guess as soon as I get the vinyl door strips I will open his trap door in the AM and let him come and go as he pleases? Do I need to keep his box heated all day on chilly days? What he likes to do now is go burrow in the straw in the dog igloo. Is that good enough? I'm rather spartan myself, and don't keep my own heat on during the day, but he is African native and I'm not..... Also, will he learn to go in the night box himself or will I always have to lift him up and put him in? Right now it's doable (he's about 40 lbs) but he's going to get bigger, God willing, and I will not be getting younger.......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He will most likely get the clue and go in himself. I would keep the house heated during cold days, he needs to be able to go in and get warm when he gets too cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need a heated retreat at all times. Snuggling in the straw in the dogloo on a cold day will eventually get him sick.

Most of them learn to use their night boxes, but some take a month or two. Sometimes it helps if you put the night box where the tortoise wants to go.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you keep the heat on a thermostat, it will shut off when it is warm enough. You can turn it off manually when he's out, but then it might take awhile to heat back up. Charlie stays in his heated night box for days or even weeks when it is cold. You might have to put him in his nightbox to get him used to it, but after he learns that is where it is warm, he'll put himself in it when it's cold. It'll become a habit.

Charlie is too big for me to lift. When we built his new night box, he went inside just because he was curious. It is warmer and more insulated than his old night box, and he seems to stay in it more than he did his old one.

In some ways, sulcatas are low maintenance, once they get past a certain age. I don't have to buy Charlie food since he lives off what grows in our yard. We can go away on a trip, knowing he will feed himself. When he has a burrow, he can control his temperature by himself. He doesn't suffer socially if we aren't there. With our dog or cats, we couldn't even go away overnight without making arrangements for them.