What do I do?!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384799499.346356.jpg
This organic wheat grass has introduced what I assume to be white mold into my enclosure. Arrrgggghhhh. What now? Will taking this out be good enough or willl I have to replace the substrate? The seedlings (the birdseed is sprouting) all over the place but I found white mold spots around quite a few of them, scraped a layer of substrate out, only to find this stupid grass has it all throughout it.
What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you pick the grass up, substrate and all and transplant it into a low sided tray? Then you can just add it into the enclosure for him to feed on it and take it out to let grow. That way, you can keep the humidity up for your Leo, while still being able to grow the grasses and weeds.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
wellington said:
Can you pick the grass up, substrate and all and transplant it into a low sided tray? Then you can just add it into the enclosure for him to feed on it and take it out to let grow. That way, you can keep the humidity up for your Leo, while still being able to grow the grasses and weeds.

I did. I pulled it right out. The I am just worried that I'll have a mild problem now since it spread to almost half the chamber over night. I scraped out the surface twice and it took out almost all my birdseed sprouts. I covered what was left with a layer of peat and sprayed it a bit. I have the MVP going to keep the chamber warm and see if I have it under control or not. It grows really fast so I should know by this evening.
Am I ok to put her back into her chamber?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Wait until later today and see if any more mold pops up. If not, place her in.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
wellington said:
I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Wait until later today and see if any more mold pops up. If not, place her in.

Ok. That's what I'll do. In the meantime I think I'll take her outside for some sunshine.
I'm half tempted to drag her chamber outside and let the sun best down on it for a few hours lol

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No worries. That mold is not harmful. Sometimes less mold will grow if you water your tray from the bottom up rather than from the top. I usually just get rid of it with a warm water flush and put the tray back in the enclosure.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
No worries. That mold is not harmful. Sometimes less mold will grow if you water your tray from the bottom up rather than from the top. I usually just get rid of it with a warm water flush and put the tray back in the enclosure.

Thanks beebee,
I have been fretting to beat the band! I took my hatching and my ornate outside for some sun and was trying to draw up a game plan if I needed to replace substrate because today is just not a good day for that with my kids schedules and piano lessons. Plus dinner.

I tore the crap out of my kitchen trying to set up a temp box and clean up the mold that was spreading across the surface. Dude, I made a MESS lololol
Now I need a shower and a glass of wine...only to have freaked out for nothing hahaha. I was like OMG, what if it gives her some funky respiratory infection or tries to take up shop on her shell?!?!?! Yeah, it was dooms day up in here. Doh!! Whoopsie![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You are too funny! Bacteria, mold and fungi. Some are good, some are bad. This mold, while perhaps annoying or scary to see, and the thought of mold makes you think it will hurt, it will not. Remember, some fancy expensive cheeses have mold. The tame mold used in Brie is called Geotrichum Candidum and is safe and some folks in Europe think its even healthy for us. And yet mold in cottage cheese, not good. Penicillin, is from the Penicillium mold. I have actually pressed wheatgrass with the mold attached and nothing happened, which I had of course checked on first. Also, our little coconut oil remedy would have been anti-fungal if need be. So, chilly out, a little glass of wine, or a cup-o-tea. And Mrs. Meyer's soap (yummy) for the mess you did, LOL. All is good. : )

And happy Tuesday tomorrow, when your little duo arrives. Exciting! Tomorrow is fun-fun-fun day! : )

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384814832.471578.jpg
Drying it out a bit. What a mess LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
No need Elohi. The humidity will be good for the THREE (woo hoo) babies! : )

Squeeeeee!!!!!
Little freckles is not sleeping in any of the three hides, the goof is sleeping with her front snuggled up to the little plastic pots that house the can't elope (LOL'ing that my phone autocorrected cantaloupe to can't elope) sprouts and the yellow squash. 85F and cozy as a bear, sound asleep. Cutest thing ever. And tomorrow she will get to nap with her new chamber mates! I'm crazy excited!