What do i do with my tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
So, I have to go to Montana for a family event and am staying at my moms house right now with my Russian tortoise in his temporary habitat(plastic bin) there isnt enough room
For him to go to Montana with us. What can I do?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
They are usually ok for a few days-you can leave a full lettuce etc and water , as long as he will be warm enough and has the lights etc that he needs.
How old is he?
I would be inclined to give him a good soak before he is left too so he is well hydrated.
Aw people here have asked similar questions and I think generally it is considered ok for 2/3 days without too much worry.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
It will be four days, should I get a light timer? Or can it just stay on? I think I will end up taking him :-/ it just seems like a long trip for him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would not take him..
4 days is fine.. leaving lights on is fine.. do you ahve a friend who can come by once? any Forum members live near you?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Ashliewood said:
It will be four days, should I get a light timer? Or can it just stay on? I think I will end up taking him :-/ it just seems like a long trip for him.

It might be easier on both of you if he went??
I'm sure he won't mind the travelling too much as long as he is warm etc.
If the light was on all of the time he may just hide at night regardless.

I couldn't leave my babies for long as they flip over often-not sure how big your guy is?

M

Maggie Cummings

There's always room for a small Russian tortoise. Get a small cardboard box and line it with newspapers, put him in it and close the lid. You may want to bring a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb to keep him warm but I would take him. If you leave him put his daytime light on a timer, I think it's mean to leave a light on 24/7 he'll need dark time. Aren't there any TFO members close to you? I would trust most to take care of my animal, they'd have all us TFO members after them if they screwed up.:) Where are you?

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
In Everett, wa. I would be open to leaving
Him with someone that would take care of
Him

Status
Not open for further replies.