What can I do?

Madlyn

Location (City and/or State)
Crystal Lake
I own a 7 year old red footed tortoise. I have had him since he was tiny. I am on my second habitat for him. Recently he has been trying to climb out which causes him to fall over and he can't turn his self back onto belly. I have setup a pet camera to notify when this happens. But I am wondering what else I can do for him. Fortunately I am home a lot but concerned about when I am not home for a bit. Looking forward to replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the enclosure. Most times this happens because the enclosure is too small and too bare.
An adult RF needs a very large room size enclosure with lots of plants

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
As well as a large enclosure, it may well help to have it sloping; this is good exercise, but also makes it a little easier if a tortoise can ger a purchase on a plant, or can 'roll' in the direction of the slope, to right itself.
My grandad's tortoise used to do that...

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Post a pic of the enclosure. Most times this happens because the enclosure is too small and too bare.
An adult RF needs a very large room size enclosure with lots of plants
How do I go about sending a picture to this foreum?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At the bottom of the box you write your post in is a tab that says attach files. Click on that. Then follow the prompts to post it within this thread.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here he is.
The enclosure is much too small, the sides are much too low, and those ramped bowls are a flipping/drowning hazard and should never be used.

Your tortoise needs a very large closed chamber type enclosure to maintain the correct heat and humidity. Heat lamps and that sort of thing in an open top only serve to dry them out and make them pyramid. RFs also need heavy plant cover. They don't like being out in the open like that.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
The enclosure is much too small, the sides are much too low, and those ramped bowls are a flipping/drowning hazard and should never be used.

Your tortoise needs a very large closed chamber type enclosure to maintain the correct heat and humidity. Heat lamps and that sort of thing in an open top only serve to dry them out and make them pyramid. RFs also need heavy plant cover. They don't like being out in the open like that.
I appreciate your reply. Do you know of a site that I can view a good habitat enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate your reply. Do you know of a site that I can view a good habitat enclosure?
Because of the size needed, there really isn't anyone making them commercially. You have to build it yourself. Most people just convert a whole room.

Animal plastics make this one, but its really too small for a tortoise that size:
They can make it half this height for less money, but 4x8 is still too small for a tortoise the size of yours to be living in for months at a time.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Because of the size needed, there really isn't anyone making them commercially. You have to build it yourself. Most people just convert a whole room.

Animal plastics make this one, but its really too small for a tortoise that size:
They can make it half this height for less money, but 4x8 is still too small for a tortoise the size of yours to be living in for months at a time.
At this time, I don't have room for a 4x8. If I build one myself I only have enough room to make it a 4x4. How high should the sides be?

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
How do I go about sending a picture to this foreum?
You take a photo, and file it in your pictures/photo file on your laptop/computer, and then click on the image of the landscape in the post taskbar. (It's right above the word 'file' in the above line... kind of the middle of the taskbar. the last icon before the 3 vertical dots...
Or you can access the forum on your phone and upload it directly from there.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At this time, I don't have room for a 4x8. If I build one myself I only have enough room to make it a 4x4. How high should the sides be?
I'm not attacking you or trying to hurt your feelings, but if you don't have the space to care for this tortoise correctly, then you need to give it to someone who does. Keeping a tortoise in an enclosure that is too small literally does harm to them. They need a lot of space to roam, and that space needs to be safe and warm for them. Tortoises need much larger enclosures than other types of reptile pets.

Sides should be around 18-20 inches tall to prevent the tortoise trying to climb up and out and flipping over. Double your tortoises carapace length is a good guideline.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
I'm not attacking you or trying to hurt your feelings, but if you don't have the space to care for this tortoise correctly, then you need to give it to someone who does. Keeping a tortoise in an enclosure that is too small literally does harm to them. They need a lot of space to roam, and that space needs to be safe and warm for them. Tortoises need much larger enclosures than other types of reptile pets.

Sides should be around 18-20 inches tall to prevent the tortoise trying to climb up and out and flipping over. Double your tortoises carapace length is a good guideline.
thank you for your reply. My feelings are not hurt. I appreciate your response.

Attachments

• Adult-Redfoot-Tortoise-Habitat-560x420.jpg
    Adult-Redfoot-Tortoise-Habitat-560x420.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 9

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
This habitat measures 4' x 8' with 20" tall sides. What do you think about this? I would only be able to make it 4' x 4' with 20" tall sides but it will be bigger than what I have now. I 2.5 years I am moving to Tennessee where I will have more space for my tortoise and then I can expand again. Opinion?

Attachments

• Adult-Redfoot-Tortoise-Habitat-560x420.jpg
    Adult-Redfoot-Tortoise-Habitat-560x420.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3

MsBijou

5 Year Member
How deep is his substrate? And if it’s dry, wet it and tamp it down and it will provide better footing for him. My Greek was flipping constantly when I put him in a new enclosure. Turned out that his substrate was too dry and too shallow and not packed down a bit.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake

I upgraded the enclosure for my tortoise. Will you give me some accessories to add?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656006765385.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656006765385.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 3