What bugs for bioactive substrate?

Ladylikepunk

Location (City and/or State)
London
I'm thinking of going bioactive for the indoor enclosure (I haven't got a tortoise yet, but they will live outdoors in summer but I will need to have an indoor set up for poor weather and either side of hibernation); as my gecko is in a bioactive planted tank I'm happy with the basic principles, but wanted to know if there were any big differences as far as tortoises go - particularly when it comes to bugs! I will include some garden worms and some woodlice (pillbugs in the U.S.?), but what else should I be looking out for?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm thinking of going bioactive for the indoor enclosure (I haven't got a tortoise yet, but they will live outdoors in summer but I will need to have an indoor set up for poor weather and either side of hibernation); as my gecko is in a bioactive planted tank I'm happy with the basic principles, but wanted to know if there were any big differences as far as tortoises go - particularly when it comes to bugs! I will include some garden worms and some woodlice (pillbugs in the U.S.?), but what else should I be looking out for?
I too would like to here more on this subject. Does anyone know the best person(s) to ask on here? @Will did you do a thread on this subject. I maybe wrong.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I too would like to here more on this subject. Does anyone know the best person(s) to ask on here? @Will did you do a thread on this subject. I maybe wrong.
I recall contributing to some one elses thread. I bought some isopods for some enclosures, one of the female Forstens makes a hobby of plowing her enclosure to get them (eat them). The hingebacks don't seem to want to be bothered, and the others don't seem to care about there presence. They do a great job of keeping things clean. If there population gets to big they sorta compete with the tortoises for food. But for the most part are only active at night. They will eat left over mulberry and anything used in a salad. They don't seem to be affected by the bacteria in the mosquito bits that does keep down sewer flies. There is a Facebook page regarding bio-active substrates.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I recall contributing to some one elses thread. I bought some isopods for some enclosures, one of the female Forstens makes a hobby of plowing her enclosure to get them (eat them). The hingebacks don't seem to want to be bothered, and the others don't seem to care about there presence. They do a great job of keeping things clean. If there population gets to big they sorta compete with the tortoises for food. But for the most part are only active at night. They will eat left over mulberry and anything used in a salad. They don't seem to be affected by the bacteria in the mosquito bits that does keep down sewer flies. There is a Facebook page regarding bio-active substrates.
Hi will. Can you run that last bit by me again please. I read that as you also have mosquitos keeping the sewer flies down. But mozzy don't seem to effect the isopods. We don't have problems with mozzies like you do. We get them but on a very small scale compared to you guys. Just out of interest, how big do your isopods grow to? Thanks

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi will. Can you run that last bit by me again please. I read that as you also have mosquitos keeping the sewer flies down. But mozzy don't seem to effect the isopods. We don't have problems with mozzies like you do. We get them but on a very small scale compared to you guys. Just out of interest, how big do your isopods grow to? Thanks
Mosquito bits is a product that is ground corn cob or something that looks like ground corn cob infused with some bacteria the makes it so mosquitoes can't proliferate in the water with the bacteria. It also works on sewer flies.

http://www.summitchemical.com/mosquito/mosquito-bits/

I have not measured them, but recall from afar is that they get somewhere between 1/2 and 1 inch long, they are called purple isopods. I have a type that are white and much smaller, they do best in enclosures that always have lots of moisture. They get about an 1/8 inch long. You can buy them online or many reptile shows.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield