What breed please

Lozbug

Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield
My sister in law was given a tortoise, I am sitting for her this week as she is on holiday. She doesn't know much about it... Can anyone tell me what breed it is please?

Thank you

Attachments

• Tortoise.jpg
    Tortoise.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The species (not breed) is russian (Testudo horsefieldii), and it needs its beak trimmed. It's pretty badly overgrown. If allowed to stay like that it will eventually chip or break off. And when that happens it may break off up too high into flesh, very painful.

Last edited:

Lozbug

Mansfield
The species (not breed) is russian (Testudo horsefieldii), and it needs its beak trimmed. It's pretty badly overgrown. If allowed to stay like that it will eventually chip or break off. And when that happens it may break off up to high into flesh, very painful.
Thanks for letting me know the breed. And I had already realised it’s beak was overgrown. Like I say it was just given to her, so I am guessing the previous owner let it get like this!

I’m sure you’ll have read I am just sitting for her, so simply asking questions so we can research what to do for the best now.

Thank you for the warm welcome

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. It seems to be contagious, this kind of reaction from people who come here for help, and get it, but yet their response is so defensive.
Hey, Lozbug...welcome to the site! We are all tortoise carers and only want to help, and some of us, Yvonne especially, are experts and their help is very valuable and immediate, so don't get antsy, ok?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The tortoise's beak is really long! Makes it hard for him to eat properly. See if your sister in law is able to take him to a good reptile vet to get it trimmed, then we can go from there and do what else needs to be done for him. He seems to have been kept rather dry, that's why there is some pyramiding of his shell.

Someone here will post the right care sheet for you. All the best!

Lozbug

Mansfield
Wow. It seems to be contagious, this kind of reaction from people who come here for help, and get it, but yet their response is so defensive.
Hey, Lozbug...welcome to the site! We are all tortoise carers and only want to help, and some of us, Yvonne especially, are experts and their help is very valuable and immediate, so don't get antsy, ok?
Defensive yes, as the first response I get comes across as aggressive and rude to me from Yvonne and now Maro2bear is the same.

I want to get advice on what to do with a tortoise I know nothing about and has been dumped on my sister in law. I think it’s clear we didn’t wander out and buy it isn’t it. So a kinder approach from people is what’s needed, not tell me off like I’ve done this to the poor creature deliberately.

Lozbug

Mansfield
Next…..those shavings (as substrate) are next to go.
Instead of criticising then can you advise what I should use? I have put here many times we have been given an unwanted tortoise - We could have said no and left it in bad conditions?

Lozbug

Mansfield
The tortoise's beak is really long! Makes it hard for him to eat properly. See if your sister in law is able to take him to a good reptile vet to get it trimmed, then we can go from there and do what else needs to be done for him. He seems to have been kept rather dry, that's why there is some pyramiding of his shell.

Someone here will post the right care sheet for you. All the best!
Thanks. Yes I’ve told her to take him to a vet for beak and nails too as they are also long.

What do you mean by kept dry? A care sheet would be very useful.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Defensive yes, as the first response I get comes across as aggressive and rude to me from Yvonne and now Maro2bear is the same.

I want to get advice on what to do with a tortoise I know nothing about and has been dumped on my sister in law. I think it’s clear we didn’t wander out and buy it isn’t it. So a kinder approach from people is what’s needed, not tell me off like I’ve done this to the poor creature deliberately.
OK. But no-one was being aggressive or rude to you. Yvonne was putting a priority on getting immediate help for what she saw as a serious problem right away with your tortoise, that is all. Let's just see what we can do to help, all of us, as this little one really needs it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Instead of criticising then can you advise what I should use? I have put here many times we have been given an unwanted tortoise - We could have said no and left it in bad conditions?
Everyone is immediately offering their first observation, in order to help! That is all.

Lozbug

Mansfield
OK. But no-one was being aggressive or rude to you. Yvonne was putting a priority on getting immediate help for what she saw as a serious problem right away with your tortoise, that is all. Let's just see what we can do to help, all of us, as this little one really needs it.
That’s what’s I want some help. I wouldn’t have come here if I didn’t.
Let’s put it down to inturpritation then. I view it one way, you and others don’t, and move on from it
Welcome to the forum, @Lozbug .
thanks

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Being told get rid of the substrate with no advice on what instead isn’t help it’s criticism
OK. Can't get anywhere here, so I will bow outta this one. Good luck!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hello and welcome. Here is the long awaited care sheet.......

Alternative substrate please look at orchid bark. beak and claws need urgent attention then please check heat. Light UVB. Calcium, humidity, diet, substrate, enclosure size to name a few things....
Please read and ask questions as required.