What breed is she?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I was going insane without a dog. The guide dog school is having trouble getting and breeding good Shepherd‘s so I will probably end up getting a different breed. But I don’t know when that’s going to be. So I just said screw it and went down to the pound and got a dog. Yes my neighbor knows that this dog will be hers, we cleared it with the landlord etc. I am feeding cable because I know my neighbor will not feed raw. But I will feed raw to my guide dog. I miss Aspen so much. She’s been gone about a year now. It is great to have a dog in the house. I don’t think the cats or chickens are thinking that though :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I agree. For a few years there one of the services almost always came back with some "chow" in the mix in dogs that obviously had no chow chow in their lineage.

I don't know why exactly they seemed to be so inaccurate, but they were. Don't know if its gotten any better over the years, but I don't trust them.

I think the only way to get a truly accurate test is to have your veterinarian send one in. But I’ve heard it costs about $500 to do that. I’ve got better things to do with $500.
My friends Dog is obviously part hand but the test came back with a bunch of random breeze including Pekingese and Yorkshyre terrier. We got a good laugh out of it but it was a waste of 60 bucks. I almost sent in a test for my last dog aspirin, she was black lab and springer cross. I know this because I saw both parents :) and both parents were AKC purebred.it would have been interesting to see what they would’ve come up with. By the way, that is an excellent price. She was a great dog.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It seems like all the guide dog schools are having troubles getting good German Shepherd‘s. So I told the school I would take whatever breed comes along first. So I will probably end up with a Doberman, but the other option is a golden retriever. So who knows what I’ll end up with. I hope someday to get a German Shepherd though. It’s hard because this is my first dog and most schools require you to go to their facility for a month. I can’t get a month off work. So I apply to a school that does home training. They bring the dog to me for a couple weeks of training here in my town. Will also head over to Seattle or Portland to get big city stuff done. I am waiting in patiently. But all my friends tell me that it’s hardest to get the first dog but then after that it’s a much smoother process. I will probably make a thread when I get my guide dog.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just for giggles, here is a picture of her in her little crate. She has taken to crate train in very quickly which is nice. She also does well in the dog pen out doors when I’m at work which is also very nice. She chews on everything! The stuffed animal in this picture is now in about 1000 pieces. So I keep having to get her tougher toys.

IMG_4276.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The last photo in the crate looks very min pin!