Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jharris1385 said:
Interesting Tom, my dad is a well known Schutzhund trainer around here. http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=503948 That links to Johann SCHH 3, CDX, RAE3, HIC, CGC. He breeds German Shepherds as well under Steinbaum GSD.

I like Schutzhund. I've done lots of it over the years, but it was never really my cup of tea. Too restrictive and formal for me. I want to work my dog, not stand still in one spot by a cone with my arms at my side. My sport is PSA. Half the time I run down the field with the dog and we fight the bad guy together. All the protection scenarios and obedience are a surprise. Its just much more realistic. Nothing wrong with Schutzhund though. Its a great test of dog and trainer.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I have a little belt mounted holster for my surefire 6p. Never leave home without at least two flashlights. Sits right behind my spare mags and right in front of my cell phone.

I've had a lot of hobbies over the years. Defensive shooting, paintball, SCUBA diving, free diving, R/C car racing, aquariums of all types, of course reptiles, roaches, protection dog training, motocross... I don't have a lot of pics though.

Moto at my local track.
2rr1f13.jpg

Totally safe but scary looking. The kids wouldn't stop smiling.
30lfaef.jpg

Hit this 200 pound guy so hard it lifted him off the ground.
ke9kyv.jpg

You should have heard the things my friend here was uttering during this "transport" to the judge.
oasklu.jpg

Water in the face didn't slow him down.
os9yza.jpg

This guy jumped me. My dog jumped him.
i3ffoz.jpg

Great pictures Tom.

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
I should have mentioned that they are trained PSA as well. There are far more trials and in many more cities than PSA, so he stuck with SchH due to the convenience. However you just made SchH sound lame to the crowd that does not know that they are very similar other than PSA does not include tracking, but includes props. They are trained with the agitation that PSA encompasses as he also trains a couple police forces. Both very interesting, I have taken and slightly trained my GSD with both but never followed through due to time constraints. After his fight with a 6-point buck from the adjoining woods, I believed in his protection (not that I questioned it before!).

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have always like Harleys, kinda a hobby. I ride alot, usually every day to lunch, lol.
This is my 2009 CrossBones, not stock at all, way fast and strong.
spahxh.jpg

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
CtTortoiseMom said:
Back off ladies, he's all mine and yes he does sleep in star wars pajama's!!

And the sheets! or is that actually your kids bed.... lol too funny!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jessicap said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Back off ladies, he's all mine and yes he does sleep in star wars pajama's!!

And the sheets! or is that actually your kids bed.... lol too funny!

No!! They are from pottery barn and unfortunately come in queen and king sizes!

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
She allows the sheets, but won't allow the comforter. That way she can cover it with an "adult" comforter and visitors won't know the evil geeky truth. It is not easy being married to me.

A

albertcron

My other Hobbies are 1. Playing Cricket. 2. Reading and 3.Travelling.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I like my 4 wheelers, harley, my mini buggy, nascar, my horses, and camping in my RV. Cooper likes how spoiled he gets on our RV trips too. He gets to run around all the time at the camp site! Have a good day people!
07-28-07_2021.jpg
10-29-07_1047.jpg
IMG_20100920_162229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I'm glad someone revived this thread. Even if they are a spammer. (?)

I'm an avid reader, and a book collector - I have most of Stephen Kings 1st editions, a bunch of signed books, etc. Recently (last couple of years) got heavy into mysteries - have John Sandford and Michael Connely signed books, even a signed version of The Firm by John Grisham! My collection is over 600 books strong, and my wife is a reader as well, so that will continue to grow. :cool:

I'm also a gadget geek - a "hobby" (compulsion? addiction?) that goes well with Tortoise keeping. (Ooh - a new lamp! A wireless thermometer! I wonder how much that UV meter is...? :p )

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Guggie said:

I'm an avid reader, and a book collector - I have most of Stephen Kings 1st editions, a bunch of signed books, etc. Recently (last couple of years) got heavy into mysteries - have John Sandford and Michael Connely signed books, even a signed version of The Firm by John Grisham! My collection is over 600 books strong, and my wife is a reader as well, so that will continue to grow. :cool:

I'm also a gadget geek - a "hobby" (compulsion? addiction?) that goes well with Tortoise keeping. (Ooh - a new lamp! A wireless thermometer! I wonder how much that UV meter is...? :p )
Id have to add "gadget geek" to mine as well!! Love going to Fry's Electroincs and dreaming about buying 1 of everything! :)

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I have a few. I garden, for torts and people. I try to get as much produce out of my postage-stamp backyard. I hope some day to figure out how to appease the HOA jerks and make my whole front yard edible. Just in case, ya know. If I had more money, I'd be a full-fledged emergency prepper, but that one's a little tough without financial backing. :D

I'm a seamstress by trade (NO, the giant scissors engraved on my arm does not mean I'm a hairdresser), so I of course love crafts, sewing, quilting (though I doubt I could hold a candle to Edna), decorating, woodworking and renovating.

Halloween and St Patricks are my favorite holidays, so I usually plan, decorate and throw giant bashes around that time of year. Both of them give me an excuse to craft and upcycle things. I think I'm going to start working on a Halloween chandelier today. :) Or some cornhole boards. The limit to what I can and do make with my hands usually depends on what kind of tools I have available. Sadly, I still don't own a welder or Oxy-Acetylene setup.

Then there's cooking, doing projects with my kiddos, reading, my Great Dane, video/computer games, camping, perpetually rearranging the tort tank, and wasting all the rest of my available time on the Internet. :D Phew!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Rob are you from AVON? I grew up in Winsted :) I worked all over litchfield and hartford counties training dogs for the invisible fence system:) my other hobbies are hiking, camping and shopping BTW

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Interesting thread-we love flashlights too Rob but they have a terrible habit of disappearing in times of need!

Hobbies
Raising children
Tortoise watching
Gardening
Outdoors, walking dogs
Alpaca business www.asessippi-alpacas.com (breeding,showing,fibre sales, alpaca products)
Love the alpacas-Truely beautiful enjoyable animals to work with.
fibre arts-not done any yet but always dreaming of it
incubating eggs-currently pea fowl
Painting(oils)
Wood burning (pyrography)
reading
cacti
growing own food
we have a few more animals too here
Scottish Highland cattle
Guineas
Hens-Buff Orpingtons
Muscovy duck-Tiny
Chinese Goose-Ozzie-very very spoilt goose!
2 pekin ducks
2 rouen ducks
Siberian Husky-rescue(koda)
Terrier cross-rescue(Maxine)
Great pyrenees/chow-Jack
Great pyrenees-Muffin
pony-Flower
4 cats-Marmalade, Flower, Fluffy, Sylvester
crested geckos-Steve, Trevella, new female-3 babies, 3 eggs incubating.
fish
rabbits-Cocoa-lop, Domino-Californian
Llama-Carmen
Gerbils-Diamond, Foxy, Crookshanks

want to travel more too some day:)

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Guggie said:

Crap! I forgot Photography.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I enjoy the outdoors. Fishing and hunting are favorites. I also do a lot of things related to keeping old time life skillls alive. Forging iron,saving seeds from the garden,flintknapping,hide tanning,soapmaking.We also preserve food-canning vegetables,jams,jellies and meats,as well as curing bacon and hams. I also make a little wine and occasionally,distill something a little stronger.LOL Charcuterie(google it) is a favorite leftover from my chef days.I'm also nuts about accurate guns,sharp knives,and learning survival skills.I just find it sad that all these skills that people spent hundreds of years perfecting are being lost to a couple of generations of technology.It's surprising how little time you have to take out of your "normal life" to practice these things.

Schlomo

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
Guggie said:

Id have to add "gadget geek" to mine as well!! Love going to Fry's Electroincs and dreaming about buying 1 of everything! :)

I am an extreme gadget geek. I have a buy first ask questions later policy when I find a good deal on gadgets (which is why I have a eBay account to sell stuff I decide not to keep). I have too many laptops/PCs, tablets, game consoles, etc that I don't need. It's gotten so bad that I order a lot of stuff directly from China now (android tablets, ipod/iphone/ipad accessories, AV/computer accessories,etc.). I agree with Guggie that it's more of an addiction/compulsion more so than a hobby.

I also collect dvds/blu-rays and most are still in shrink wrap. Other than that, one of my favorite "hobbies" is taking naps. I remember when I was younger, I told myself that I would never take naps. Now, I take them whenever I get a chance - even at work.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
My other hobbies are horse riding,
Motorcycle enthusiast, where ever I go my bike goes with me.
Reptile enthusiast
Watching NCSI,NCSI LA, CSI, criminal minds.
That's about it,

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I'm a comic book geek, and HUGE hockey fan (playing since I was a kid)

Status
Not open for further replies.