What am I doing wrong? (humidity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
I'm struggling to maintain a happy humidity in my Hermanns' enclosure. I have gotten it up to above 80% for all of one day after I changed my substrate to purely coconut fiber, but it dried out fast in spite of me misting often.

I have the top covered 75% with acrylic to keep in moisture (the uncovered 25% has the Powersun over it as well as a ceramic heater). It's a Zoo Med tortoise house, lined with a shower curtain.

For the most part, the humidity stays around 50-60% with temps between 80 and 85 (77 and 82 at night). I had a humid hide, but it was ineffective. Right now, he sleeps in the large log which is packed with moss.

What am I doing wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a flower watering can, the kind with a big spout and lots of holes. Then water the coir until it is soaked and mix, so all the under coir is also wet. Misting usually just gets the top wet which drys very quickly. Don't add so much water that the coir is swimming in it. Just a little at a time until it all gets wet. Then only the top will dry out quickly, but not the under coir. Then spray the top a few times a day or after it is dry. If that doesn't work, add a small personal humidifier.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
Is this a Baby Hermanns?

My understanding is that unless it is a baby, you should not keep the humidity extremely high on mediterranean species.

With that said.

I agree with Wellington, but i might also add a couple small potted tortoise safe plants to help hold in the moisture.

If this is not enough, I have seen some use a reptifogger set on a timer to maintain a set humidity level.

good luck, :)

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
He's two years old.

I planned on planting some white clover that I bought from Arizona Tortoise Compound, but I havent been willing to buy a huge bag of soil for a few seeds.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
i thought you had to be careful with wetting down the substrate due to the possibility of fungus problems

Kelly_H

5 Year Member
Leicestershire, UK
I too would be cautious of having the relative humidity too high for a hermanns as it may cause respiratory problems. They thrive between 40-60. I believe all that is require is a humid hide with sphagnum moss for the hatchlings to encourage smooth shell growth and prevent dehydration.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You really dont need humidity over 50-60 percent you have Herman, and not only that its two years old :)
Sulcata and leopards and African species need humidity the highest because when they are young they usually live in deep burrows where its humid :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A two year old does not need as much as hatchlings. I thought you had a baby. With your big enclosure, at least it looks big, you may still have to cover some to keep the humidity where it should be. However, if you can get the plants to work I would try that first.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
50 to 60? I'm perfect, then!! He's extremely active and alert, so I guess I've been doing things right. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.