what a good substrate for new born sully hatchlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
what a good substrate for new born sully hatchlings? I use cypress mulch but there are too many big pieces and im scared it will hurt them. There yolk sac just begun to absorb so i dont wanna hurt there lil bellys. I was thinking cocnut coir/ sand mix but its to messy when it gets all on there food and water Any other suggestions?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I use moist coconut coir. It does get everywhere. But since food and water MUST be changed when it gets too grody it's a good reminder to clean things up a bit, often. And they're soaked daily, which makes them all pretty again.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I used to use EcoEarth, but I have since changed to Sphagnum Premier Peat moss with long-fibered Sphagnum moss in their humid hide box. I love this substrate, as it holds in the humidity well, soft for lil' hatchlings, and keeps their shells growing smooth. They do have some fine chopped cypress mulch at Petsmart but is much more expensive that the other (I get at Lowes).

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You don't want a 'fine' substrate. Curious hatchlings may want to test it for palatability...and there's nothing worse than an impacted baby. You would be wiser going with moistened coco coir...just keep it moist. Watering it down every few days works...and if you soak your babies in the morning and late afternoon for 20-30 minutes in warm water then you're less likely to have messy substrate;)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortieLuver said:
I used to use EcoEarth, but I have since changed to Sphagnum Premier Peat moss with long-fibered Sphagnum moss in their humid hide box. I love this substrate, as it holds in the humidity well, soft for lil' hatchlings, and keeps their shells growing smooth. They do have some fine chopped cypress mulch at Petsmart but is much more expensive that the other (I get at Lowes).

+1 :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have never had any issues with the Sphagnum peat moss that I use as a substrate. The kind of cypress mulch they offer at our locat Petsmart is "finer" than you are talking about, but not too fine for the hatchlings. I agree with Dean that you don't want your tortoise eating the substrate and becoming impacted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use orchid bard, coco coir, Eco-Earth and Bed-a-Beast, fine bark chip mixes from the hardware store, cypress mulch, plain soil(good luck finding any without additives) and the peat stuff that is kind of like dirt (not sure what its called, but I think its the same stuff as what Christy uses). I've never had any problem with any of these. Outdoors I'll use these same things in a kiddie pool set-up or just put them on the plain old dirt on the ground in a block pen.

I never use sand by itself or in any mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.