Western Hermann in Bay Area CA

McScoots

Location (City and/or State)
Mill Valley CA
Hi All,

Ive had my 2 Western Hermmans (From Garden State Tortoise) now for 4 years. I didnt think they would produce until 6-8 years but during this spring, my baby girl laid 7 eggs and 3 have hatched. My question, i really want to keep the adults outdoorIMG_8167.jpgIMG_8086.jpgIMG_7611.jpgs. and i know our temperatures (Bay Area/North Bay by the Golden Gate) are neutral, but my torts have had 2 respiratory infections, in back to back january months. And since ive never brumated them, do you think temps that drop to low 40s during the winter, and maybe highs of high 50s in the winter is ok? Does anyone here have western hermmans living outside 24/7, 365 days a year? Thanks in advance. My outdoor enclosure is 3x16 ft with hardware cloth lined on the bottom and chicken wire lined on the top. i dont have a heat source, and the enclosure gets 4-5 hours of sun a day. we have Racoons, bobcats, possums, coyotes.. dogs/cats, just to name a few predators.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No it's not okay. That's too cold and fluctuating. To brumate, it has to be done with a constant temp. You need to either build them a heated lighted shed to keep them up and awake thru winter or bring them in and house them inside or properly brumate them.
They also should not be kept as a pair. Pairs do not do well, it's stressful on both and one will be bullied or bred to illness or death.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

Ive had my 2 Western Hermmans (From Garden State Tortoise) now for 4 years. I didnt think they would produce until 6-8 years but during this spring, my baby girl laid 7 eggs and 3 have hatched. My question, i really want to keep the adults outdoorView attachment 359759View attachment 359760View attachment 359761s. and i know our temperatures (Bay Area/North Bay by the Golden Gate) are neutral, but my torts have had 2 respiratory infections, in back to back january months. And since ive never brumated them, do you think temps that drop to low 40s during the winter, and maybe highs of high 50s in the winter is ok? Does anyone here have western hermmans living outside 24/7, 365 days a year? Thanks in advance. My outdoor enclosure is 3x16 ft with hardware cloth lined on the bottom and chicken wire lined on the top. i dont have a heat source, and the enclosure gets 4-5 hours of sun a day. we have Racoons, bobcats, possums, coyotes.. dogs/cats, just to name a few predators.
In this thread I explain how to use an insulated temperature controlled shelter to do this:

McScoots

Mill Valley CA
No it's not okay. That's too cold and fluctuating. To brumate, it has to be done with a constant temp. You need to either build them a heated lighted shed to keep them up and awake thru winter or bring them in and house them inside or properly brumate them.
They also should not be kept as a pair. Pairs do not do well, it's stressful on both and one will be bullied or bred to illness or death.
thanks for the insight

McScoots

Mill Valley CA
In this thread I explain how to use an insulated temperature controlled shelter to do this:
thanks for the tips, i'll look into this

Reactions: Tom