Went to the vet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
and came home tort less! I was almost in tears but stopped myself.
I took both my redfoots in because their poops started really smelling bad for last two weeks. So I went for an exam and fecal test.

Turns out they both have Giardia. The vet said "the Metronidazole is very sour" so he would like to use a feeding tube to get it down them and they needed to be boarded for 10 days. I was so upset. I asked to see where they would be housed which was just a small aquarium with heat and uvb.

Today I have been cleaning everything and starting over with the inside enclosure. For the outside enclosure he said "water it down really well and let it dry."

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Not so happy right now:(

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Sorry to hear this, I know the feeling of coming home from the vet and your animal has to stay :(

I don't have any suggestions for you, but in sure others will be around soon :)

They'll be fine in the tanks at the vet, it's only temporary.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks. I'm feeling better now. I was just not prepared to leave them mentally.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry you have to go thru all that. I know it's upsetting to those of us who are close to our pets.
My Vet sucks up the dewormer into a small syringe (no needle) and puts the stuff directly into her cloaca. She's done that to most of my tortoises and it seems to work out fine. Heaven knows it's a bunch easier that way...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
well my husband is in China and he asked how my day was going. I told him the whole story and he never even asked how much the bill was. I love him so. I told him my forum friends made feel better.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Momof4 said:
well my husband is in China and he asked how my day was going. I told him the whole story and he never even asked how much the bill was. I love him so. I told him my forum friends made feel better.

That's so sweet, he sounds like a keeper :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
UPDATE: Well apparently my tortoises are so stubborn that the vet cannot open their mouths so he needs to put them under and attach some sorta of feeding tube that stays in the next 9 days. Come on! The bill has now doubled.

He has no compassion at all either. I think I might be looking for another exotics vet. I'm just uncomfortable about this whole ordeal.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I agree with you I would find another vet. I cannot believe that an experienced vet dealing with tortoises cannot get the tortoise's mouth open. General anesthesia has its risks.

I go to Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. He is fantastic and super experienced in the treatment of reptiles. He really cares about the animals and takes his time and is very compassionate with them. His prices are very fair. So many vets today seem to just care about making as much money off a person that they can.

Goggle Tom Greek in Yorba Linda and read all the great reviews that he has. All the reviews reflect my feelings exactly.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I don't know if it's the same as it is with birds, but if it is giardia isn't particularly deadly if it's caught in a timely manner, just a nuisance... not that that will be particularly comforting, but I'm sure your babies will be fine.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks CarolS. I may do that in the future. I will keep him in my contacts. I'm not a picky person but this has just gotten out of hand. As much time as I spend here and rarely hear about torts having to spend 10 days boarding for meds. They weren't on their death beds.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Momof4 said:
Thanks CarolS. I may do that in the future. I will keep him in my contacts. I'm not a picky person but this has just gotten out of hand. As much time as I spend here and rarely hear about torts having to spend 10 days boarding for meds. They weren't on their death beds.

They may be giving them meds that may mess with their systems in a certain way so they want to keep an eye on them while they are on the drugs... also, it may just be for convenience so you don't have to drive to the vet daily for their meds.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry to hear about this. I will be going though the same thing in about a weeks time. My tort has a huge stone in his bladder, and the only way he'll get it out is through surgery. Don't know how long they'll keep him. But, if you want, you can keep us in the loop daily. That way, you'll be able to release some stress while waiting for your tort to get home. Just a thought.

Momof4 said:
and came home tort less! I was almost in tears but stopped myself.
I took both my redfoots in because their poops started really smelling bad for last two weeks. So I went for an exam and fecal test.

Turns out they both have Giardia. The vet said "the Metronidazole is very sour" so he would like to use a feeding tube to get it down them and they needed to be boarded for 10 days. I was so upset. I asked to see where they would be housed which was just a small aquarium with heat and uvb.

Today I have been cleaning everything and starting over with the inside enclosure. For the outside enclosure he said "water it down really well and let it dry."

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Not so happy right now:(

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Momof4 said:
UPDATE: Well apparently my tortoises are so stubborn that the vet cannot open their mouths so he needs to put them under and attach some sorta of feeding tube that stays in the next 9 days. Come on! The bill has now doubled.

He has no compassion at all either. I think I might be looking for another exotics vet. I'm just uncomfortable about this whole ordeal.

So sorry!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
ANOTHER UPDATE: Well my babies made it through the surgery to put in a feeding tube down their esophagus. I wasn't suppose to get them back until the 28th but the vet called and said they were ready to come home. So I went and and got them the next day because I wasn't prepared yet. I still needed to disinfect the night time enclosure and all their dishes. The fecal came back with two types of parasites and Giardia. I have to administer two different meds for 21 days. They are doing amazing well despite a tube stitched to their neck. They were so thirsty when I got them home. I have never seen them dunk their heads under the water so far. Both are eating well and are on the road to recovery.

One thing I learned is how important it is to get your torts check ups. Especially when introducing a new one. I waited like 5 months to put them together and a month later both their poops started smelling really really bad. I knew something was wrong. This was one expensive vet bill. I can't imagine if a whole herd got infected.

jl19j5.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thank you MichiLove. It feels good to have them back. They were gone 5 days and I really missed them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Glad to see that they are back with you. I know you'll take better care of them at home because at the hospital, they are just two of many post-op patients. The individual attention would be lacking; so, I'm so happy for you. Sibi

Status
Not open for further replies.