Well i give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I've checked everywhere looking for plants untreated by pesticides and couldn't find a single one. So that being said I will continue to buy organic spring mix and things like that but for the part of Moonpie's varied diet (if she is going to have one) will have to be regular store bought things. I did find several on the safe to feed list however which I was pleased with. So for those of u who have acess to all organic goods, Good for you! I unfortunately live in the land of Unhealthy, Cajun, pesticide using UnGreen people :(

hlester22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Buy some seeds and try to grow your own stuff. I have a brown thumb and can rarely get stuff to grow but you might have better luck.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
hlester22 said:
Buy some seeds and try to grow your own stuff. I have a brown thumb and can rarely get stuff to grow but you might have better luck.

Ah see I thought about that but I can't even get mold to grow lol :'(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you look on the internet also? There has to be some on there you could order from:D. I also thought you could take a cutting from a plant and grow off of that and the new growth would be pesticide free, I think. See if anyone else knows about that, or you could ask a greenhouse about it.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Did you look on the internet also? There has to be some on there you could order from:D. I also thought you could take a cutting from a plant and grow off of that and the new growth would be pesticide free, I think. See if anyone else knows about that, or you could ask a greenhouse about it.

That's where I went was a greenhouse

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol...almost hit the floor when I read the mold part...LOL

You can get some wheatgrass seed and sprout seeds...these are a couple good grazing items...they are basically easy to grow...I tried some and it was indoors and they grew...although the test was on a small scale I will do outdoors in larger flats and see what happens....:D

Do you have a health food store any where near you? They usually have a fair organic selection....good luck and don't give up...you can do it :p

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Lol...almost hit the floor when I read the mold part...LOL

You can get some wheatgrass seed and sprout seeds...these are a couple good grazing items...they are basically easy to grow...I tried some and it was indoors and they grew...although the test was on a small scale I will do outdoors in larger flats and see what happens....:D

Do you have a health food store any where near you? They usually have a fair organic selection....good luck and don't give up...you can do it :p

There isn't anything healthy anywhere near where I live lol. But I haven't given up hope of finding something.my main focus now is getting her to eat ANYTHING then I'll worry bout the other stuff :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
DanaLachney said:
I've checked everywhere looking for plants untreated by pesticides and couldn't find a single one. So that being said I will continue to buy organic spring mix and things like that but for the part of Moonpie's varied diet (if she is going to have one) will have to be regular store bought things. I did find several on the safe to feed list however which I was pleased with. So for those of u who have acess to all organic goods, Good for you! I unfortunately live in the land of Unhealthy, Cajun, pesticide using UnGreen people :(

We must be in very different parts of Louisiana! Most of our state used to be river bed, or just abutting it, and you can drop any seed in america in your own backyard and walk away then come back to a green plant. One of my favorite things about moving here was how effortless gardening became! I am quite sure you can grow more than mold if you try : P As far as not buying plants coated in pesticides pick the most naturally grown ones you can find and stick them in the ground, once they establish a root system you can trim off existing foliage and wait for new leaves to come in. I usually do this in portions (ie- cut small clusters of leaves at a time) so as not to shock or kill the plant. I am vegan and prefer organic produce for myself as well as my animals where possible, we go through A LOT, and never have a problem finding it. There is a farmers market on every corner plus everyone I know has a grandma/brother/neighbor growing something different who is willing to share. Don't give up- check with local farmers if you're not brave enough to grow your own (which I promise you is easy here!)

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
DanaLachney said:
wellington said:

That's where I went was a greenhouse

I got my tortoise seed mix from Carolinapetsupply.com and I planted the seeds in a jiffy container and it sprouted 2 days later and is growing very rapidly! It's so easy....I bought organic soil from homedepot for growing natural plants and veggies...make sure u read the ingredients. I watered mine the first 2 nights (drenched it, or filled it to the top with water and let it drain) then I let it sit overnight and when the sun hits my window area I put them all there and they grow just fine indoors =)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
katherine said:
We must be in very different parts of Louisiana! Most of our state used to be river bed, or just abutting it, and you can drop any seed in america in your own backyard and walk away then come back to a green plant. One of my favorite things about moving here was how effortless gardening became! I am quite sure you can grow more than mold if you try : P As far as not buying plants coated in pesticides pick the most naturally grown ones you can find and stick them in the ground, once they establish a root system you can trim off existing foliage and wait for new leaves to come in. I usually do this in portions (ie- cut small clusters of leaves at a time) so as not to shock or kill the plant. I am vegan and prefer organic produce for myself as well as my animals where possible, we go through A LOT, and never have a problem finding it. There is a farmers market on every corner plus everyone I know has a grandma/brother/neighbor growing something different who is willing to share. Don't give up- check with local farmers if you're not brave enough to grow your own (which I promise you is easy here!)

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.