Weird Poop

Devonae

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Hi everyone!

I kind of alluded to this in my other post, but my red foot has been producing some weird poop for about 3 days now. At first it was her typical brown poop but it had a white gooey substance surrounding it and it was a bit stringy. The second day, which is when she went to the vet, her poop was completely white and there was some hard matter in it. Now, today, it seems to be moving back to normalcy (and her appetite has increased) but it still doesn't look normal. I'll attach a pic of her most recent poop.

Thank you all.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What have you been feeding her for the last few days? Have you checked for parasites/flagellates and brought in a stool sample to your vet? Flagellates often cause mucus in the stool and without the right fecal test or if the vet isn't looking for them in particular they are often not found.

Devonae

5 Year Member
New York, New York
She's been eating vegetables, but we've given her a variety because she doesn't really eat lettuce. She's had celery, cucumbers, and mango in the past few days. Before that, when she first started the irregular poop, it was mostly romaine lettuce with some fruit.

We took a sample to the vet on Sunday and we just got the results back, they didn't find any parasites. However, I am not too confident in the results of this vet because he didn't even know what type of tortoise Hiccup is... He basically told us that everything was fine with her: she's active, eating, a healthy weight, with a firm shell.

Attachments

• NYAC60539292.pdf
    2.1 KB · Views: 9

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you feed fruit daily? Those are some very watery foods, I wouldn't be too surprised if the weird poop was just from the diet. I would wait a few days and see if it goes back to normal. Do you know what the hard stuff was in her poop before?

I would also get a new vet, that sounds disastrous if he doesn't even know what type of tortoise yours is. I bet he did not check for flagellates at all.