Weird behavior.. Help!

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
I know it's hibernating time, but I live in south Florida and I don't want/didn't hibernate my turtles this or last year. They are a little over one. When I pull them up to soak and feed they have been acting completely normal then after a few bites kind of freeze up. It's really weird and concerning. I put them back in the enclosure and the next day they are back to normal. Should I let them be for winter and not pull them out anymore but still offer food/water?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383061977.903634.jpg this is what they are doing.. Not all at the same time though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it a new batch of worms? Maybe they have something on them???

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Not a new batch. Just super weird. I was thinking maybe they are adjusting to the water temperatures. I put them in warm water to soak lately because the temperatures vary here from day to day. It has been cooler than normal

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
Hello! I'm in South Florida also. My babies I keep inside and put outside when it's warm (they're real young though ... about 2 and half months) but my adults are outside all the time. They've been slowing down a little with our random nights that get into the 60s. Make sure that they have hay or grass cuttings that they can bury into (completely covered)...this will keep them warm. If the hay gets wet, replace it. They shouldn't hibernate though...it just doesn't get consistently cold enough here for that. They'll slow a bit, and so will their metabolism. Feed them less, and don't feed them right before a cold front. When it's cold, and they go into a slow sleepy state for a couple days, they stop digesting their food. If they aren't digesting their food, it sits in their gut and will rot and make them sick. Boxies are little pigs and will eat until they explode usually--this is no different even right before a cold front. If you know it's going to get cold, don't feed them.

I'd say start by making sure they're warming up enough. The first thing to check for most issues is to make sure that they're temperatures are good. Warm soaks are good, but also make sure their enclosure is staying in a good range throughout the day, and that they have somewhere warm to crawl into overnight.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Hard to tell from a picture but that looks exactly like what mine do when they notice me watching them. They freeze for a bit then haul butt like they think I may take their worm away. How long have you had them? The one in the picture looks alot older than one.