weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, I had to Get bigger domes also. They are much bigger lights than I imaganed. The temp sounds fine. I leave mine on 10-12 hours a day. I have them set on timers, start at 6am end at 6 pm. I have it on one side of her enclosure and a spot so she can get away (hide area) if she wants, but what she usually does is use her makeshift hide (a corner of her enclosure on the cold side she dug out and covers herself with the hay on top almost like a cave.

I didn't see an imediate increase in appitite but it was gradual. I'm not sure if it was the light or she just began to feel better.

I think cutting back on her soakings may help. If you are afraid of dehidration add a few minutes to her soaks. Squirt soaks for 20-30 min. 2 to 3 time a week and I have water in her enclosure which she almost never uses now.

As far as your scale if you don't get a call back, or they aren't willing to weigh the quarter. Just keep using the same scale once a week, same day around the same time and see if she starts to pick up weight.

Good Luck Melissa, Sounds like everything your doing is what has been best for her. And she nor yourself could ask for more. Your a good tort mom remember that. Keep us posted.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much Robyn. I will keep you updated.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
another question..I have seen people mention using a cuttlebone in enclosures, would it be ok to give a young tort like mine?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sure or you can even put the powdered calcium in a small cap in her enclosure she will use it as she needs it. My Yearling DT use the cuttlebone occasionally. Comet has not.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I haven't seen any increase in her activity as of yet. Interesting thing though, when I fed her today she was in her hide, she came right out went right to the food, she only took two or three bites though and then she stopped. She's been sleeping all day, under the light.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sounds like she might be enjoying the heat and the uvBs. Just keep an eye on those temps. I would give her some time to see how she does.
When I got squirt and put the uvB+Heat flood bulb in she spent most of her time under it. That went on for about a month. Now she uses it sportatily during the day. Squirt didn't eat much yesterday AM. She is slowly making her way to the uvB as I type this. She will sit under it for an hour or two then eat a little. By the time I get home around 4 most of the food will be gone.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have noticed that since I changed her enclosure from the tank to the rabbit cage, she is always on the hot end. When she's walking around she will walk around the cool end but she never stays down there. I check on her throughout the day and she changes positions under the light often but she is always on that end.
As a just in case, I gave her a little pumpkin with her greens today. I thought it might stimulate her appetite because its something colorful and new. She did the same thing as yesterday, goes right to the food with gusto but only takes a few bites. She really acts like she wants to it. Its frustrating.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just came in to get updated on everyone. I wish I could offer more, but on the cuttlebone my guy seams to really like it. I also had just scrapped a little powder over his greens to make sure he was getting it. He has gained a lot of weight in a fairly short period of time. Which is good as he was underweight before. I put his food in various locations in his enclosure, he seams to like it if he comes across it. The mighty hunter. I hope all is well.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Robyn, I put her food in the middle of her enclosure on a flat rock I have placed there. Close to the light but not directly under it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
You might want to try placing it on a paper plate or plastic lid next to her under the light and see if she eats more than just a bite or two. If she does that may indicate she needs higher temps. Just a suggestion. Any call from the vet yet?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I forgot to mention I do put it on a flat lid for her. I will try putting it a little closer to the light for her and see if that works.
No call from the vet yet. I'm going to try to call again. I've just been so busy. Were buying a house and getting ready to move. I had to surrender my dog to a rescue center today. So much stuff going on!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
so sorry you had to give up your dog Melissa I know that is such a hard thing to do. And it seems when one thing is off the world throughs everything at you at once. Yet life goes on. Know you are doing what you can do for Sparkles at this time and hope for the best at least she is still eating. Check her weight on the day you checked it first and let us know how she is doing.
Hugs for all your worrys.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Robyn. It was very hard, I miss him.
Anyway, I weighed Sparkles again today and she's the same. At least she hasn't lost more. I got her some flowers to eat, her first ones. She loved them. She ate like a champ today.
I bought a cuttle bone for her. She seems to enjoy the new light, lays right under it.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sparkles is just a little longer then my crush, crush weighs 26 g doesn't gain, doesn't lose just stays at 26 g. A question about the rabbit cage, did you put anything around the sides or is it open so you see the bars? Whe I went to the rabbit cage I put a aquarium picture all the way around the rabbit cage, I think it prob helped it to stay warmer in there then open and airy. Glad to here she ate a bunch.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Melissa, Sounds like progress is being made. She ate. she is liking her new light and she is not losing weight. You might want to try placing something around the bars as Jen has suggested. This might help warm it and raise the humidity just a tad. Its and easy and inexpensive fix and if it doesn’t seem to help easy to remove. Just a thought. But I am glad to hear she is holding her weight and eating something. Now at least you found a favorite for her and maybe can tempt her by mixing them in with some greens. YEAH.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can use the backgrounds for aquariums, then your daughter could have a pretty picture to look at, or you can use construction paper. I have used both and they both worked although they aquarium backing was much nicer to the eye.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just a little update, I weighed her today. She hasn't gained but hasn't lost anymore. She's been eating pretty good. I've been giving her as much variety of things as I can until it finally warms up and I can get her outside. The past week she has had skin peeling from her neck. Something I have been a little concerned about is that she has not passed any urates in a about 9 days. I cut back her soakings to 3 times a week and let her soak 15-20 minutes, but she never goes. Her nose has healed (for those that remember) she actually had the same thing happen to the other nostril too. It looks pretty good but it looks like the holes are closed up now. Anyway just wanted to update on things. At least she hasn't lost any more weight!!

by the way..I never did hear from the vet ...I think I need to find a new one.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You would think that the vet would call you with results either way. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.