Weight for hibernation

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi
This probably should be on the hibernating forum but can't seen too find it, sorry.
Ok I have a good few questions about my first hibernating experience.
Quick history.. Jasmin, spur thighed tortoise, aged, opinionated, grumpy, greedy, but totally lovable..landed on my doorstep when I moved to France. She had been fending for herself for a good few years in a field. Owner died and no one knew she was there.
Long story short... she has a very large outside enclosure, house, sunbathing mound, bushes, large food area, pots for hiding in, what ever she wants she gets!!
Except a knowledgeable human!!
She has obviously hibernate before, naturally, but I'm still very worried.
The weather is so variable here at the mo, it varies between 18 degrees and 36 degrees in the day..
1..Should I just let her get on with it, will she time her hibernation better herself?
2...She has her own food garden, food is still abundant, but will the cooler days confuse her?
3...I used the Jackson scale and she is considered a bit light for hibernation... in previous years I'm presuming she could of been ...light... aswell..... but still hibernated.... should I worry?
She stresses alot if she isn't outside so bringing her in to stop hibernation isn't a great option.
I have many questions... but ant help with these first few would need greatly recieved.
Thank you
Newby numpty owner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi
This probably should be on the hibernating forum but can't seen too find it, sorry.
Ok I have a good few questions about my first hibernating experience.
Quick history.. Jasmin, spur thighed tortoise, aged, opinionated, grumpy, greedy, but totally lovable..landed on my doorstep when I moved to France. She had been fending for herself for a good few years in a field. Owner died and no one knew she was there.
Long story short... she has a very large outside enclosure, house, sunbathing mound, bushes, large food area, pots for hiding in, what ever she wants she gets!!
Except a knowledgeable human!!
She has obviously hibernate before, naturally, but I'm still very worried.
The weather is so variable here at the mo, it varies between 18 degrees and 36 degrees in the day..
1..Should I just let her get on with it, will she time her hibernation better herself?
2...She has her own food garden, food is still abundant, but will the cooler days confuse her?
3...I used the Jackson scale and she is considered a bit light for hibernation... in previous years I'm presuming she could of been ...light... aswell..... but still hibernated.... should I worry?
She stresses alot if she isn't outside so bringing her in to stop hibernation isn't a great option.
I have many questions... but ant help with these first few would need greatly recieved.
Thank you
Newby numpty owner.
1. No. Emphatic no. Its great that she survived on her own somehow previously, but many don't and most don't for very long.
2. She will not be confused. Humans get confused. Tortoises don't get confused.
3. The Jackson scale is worthless. Don't bother with that. Do your soaks, and the tortoise should feel dense and heavy when lifted.

In this thread I explain the correct type of housing to lead them into and out of brumation, even when the weather is not cooperating:

This thread explains the brumation info:

Much more general care info here: