Weed ID

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
Found some more weeds in the backyard along with some plants, not sure what they are:

1. IMG_9359.JPG

2. IMG_9360.JPG
Soft and fuzzy leaves

3. IMG_9361.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bambam1989

East Texas
1. Looks like some kind of "Lord and Ladies" toxic do not feed

2. I know I have seen this before but can't remember the name!
3. I don't know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know 1 or 3. Those look more like decorative plants than weeds.

I'm fairly certain that #2 is a young horse weed plant. If I'm right, it is a do not feed item.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don't know 1 or 3. Those look more like decorative plants than weeds.

I'm fairly certain that #2 is a young horse weed plant. If I'm right, it is a do not feed item.

I also think it is likely a young horse weed. Tortoise Table says don’t feed but the reasoning is very weak, imo. I have read several posts here along the lines of “inedible” though. So one way or the other, not something I would intentionally feed to an indoor tortoise.

My Russian sometimes takes a bite of a young one but she’s a Russian… :)

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
I also think it is likely a young horse weed. Tortoise Table says don’t feed but the reasoning is very weak, imo. I have read several posts here along the lines of “inedible” though. So one way or the other, not something I would intentionally feed to an indoor tortoise.

Thanks for your input! I gave a leaf to Spike and he ate a bit of it, but didn't seem to be a fan. I won't feed it to him anymore.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ok, Guys. Help me out here. @Tom @RosemaryDW
These weeds get so confusing and horseweed in one I want to pull out, but others are real close looking and fine tortoise food.

To me this week looks like catsear. My horseweed does not look like that when younger. can you help explain the difference?

Here's horseweed:

Plant ID Horseweed.jpg

Here's a young catsear:

Plant ID catsear seedling.jpg

What is the difference you look for? both are extremely common in California. Since one is good, the other reqarded as bad, enquiring minds want to know!

The first one also looks like California arrowhead to me. Espcially if that is growing in a fairly wet area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The only reference I can find for horse weed toxicity is in regards to goats, cattle and horses. Sounds like its pretty bad, and most mammals won't eat it anyway. Of course our tortoises might be different, but I'm not taking that chance. There are so many other things to feed them that I know are safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, Guys. Help me out here. @Tom @RosemaryDW
These weeds get so confusing and horseweed in one I want to pull out, but others are real close looking and fine tortoise food.

What is the difference you look for? both are extremely common in California. Since one is good, the other reqarded as bad, enquiring minds want to know!

The first one also looks like California arrowhead to me. Espcially if that is growing in a fairly wet area.

You know how much I get out in the world… I see many varieties of "horse weed". It can be confusing depending on what stage of growth it is in, and from what I have seen there is some variability in appearance. Some have serrations on the leaves and some don't. Some have flatter leaves and some kind of wrinkled. I think at least part of the variability comes from the wide variety of conditions in which this wed will thrive. It browns one way on my irrigated lawn and another way entirely at the ranch in the dry dirt. An internet search will show you all sorts of pictures demonstrating the variety I'm talking about.

And I agree, this one is confusing in its younger stages, but unmistakeable once it matures and goes to seed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
<Cat’s Ear is> extremely common in California.

This is interesting. We get cat’s ear but only in relatively undisturbed land; basically the little remaining chapparal/scrub in my area. It’s not native, so I’d harvest it if I saw it. I wonder why I see so many dandelion relatives and not this one. Hmm.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is interesting. We get cat’s ear but only in relatively undisturbed land; basically the little remaining chapparal/scrub in my area. It’s not native, so I’d harvest it if I saw it. I wonder why I see so many dandelion relatives and not this one. Hmm.
Catsear is known by it preference for disturbed areas to start growing. @Tom probably wouldn't see it much if at all in his area, but along the coastal areas, and in the Central Valley it is quite common. The shape of the leaves and the description of "soft and fuzzy" by the OP sure sounds and looks like catsear also given the location???

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
First is Zantedeschia - "calla lily".
I like to see more pics of the third one.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Catsear is known by it preference for disturbed areas to start growing. @Tom probably wouldn't see it much if at all in his area, but along the coastal areas, and in the Central Valley it is quite common. The shape of the leaves and the description of "soft and fuzzy" by the OP sure sounds and looks like catsear also given the location???

For specificity, the location where I saw these is north Orange County. Here are more pics of the weeds and of an individual leaf to possibly help ID. It feels very furry and in person, you can see that the hair of the leaf looks like cotton fibers (2nd photo).
20171214_205023000_iOS.jpg 20171216_173906788_iOS.jpg 20171216_173822100_iOS.jpg 20171216_173804602_iOS.jpg

In comparison, here is a photo of what appears to be a horseweed rosette growing nearby (though I'm not certain):
20171216_174043329_iOS.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Not arguing, just don’t see it much here, in this densely populated south Orange County coastal area. Perhaps because so much of our top soil has been scraped off for housing? Once that thin layer is gone, what’s underneath isn’t good for growing much at all. There is some in the preserve near our house but not a ton. Whereas thistles and bristly ox-tongue are everywhere.

I’ll have to take a look further away from home.