weather

phebe121

Ao the weather is changing and i moved the heat lamp closer to my torts at first they where under it now there away did.i make it to hot it say it still 80 in thereor is the light just to much for them now

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I am understanding you correctly, you moved the light closer because the weather is getting colder outside. But they are not under it like they were. However, the temp still says 80 even though you moved the light closer. Correct?

How old are your leopards? The whole enclosure should not be lower then 80 if they are under two years and that's with the humidity at 80%. What are you using to read temps? Those little disc type things found at pet stores are not good, waist of money and not reliable. Also, they need a basking spot to 95+ in order to digest their food properly.

Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper house, temps and humidity.

phebe121

They are almoat 2 and i have one of the weather things in there that takes the temp it accurate brand and there inside not out my house is warm to this is there basking spot im talking about now they stay on the cooler side of there enclosure shold i move the light back to where it was

phebe121

Trust me no issue with digestion there regularly going lol for so reson they like to pee on me to lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the temp,of the basking spot and what is the temp,of the cool spot? They don't need to bask all day. They usually will go in and out of it as they see fit. It could possibly be too hot.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It probably got hotter in there when you moved the light closer, and now they don't need to sit under it as often. Or at all.

phebe121

I noticed they go under it juzt not az much now there basking spot about 90

phebe121

So i took another temp reading of there basking spot it was 115 with the light closer with the light back to its original spot it is about 90 what one is better

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
...were they doing okay with the light in its original spot? Even with it getting cooler outside, unless your house is significantly colder too, there's no real reason to adjust the light so that it's low enough to create a 25 degree difference.

Increasing the basking spot by 25 degrees is probably why they are not under the light as much anymore. I'd keep it at the original spot unless your house drops by 25 degrees this winter.

-Jen

phebe121

Well we keepare house around 70 in the winter so it shouldn't be to cold for them

phebe121

Well shes done it 2 times since july to me one wile trying to flie her beak that i get so i stop i felt bad and the other one it was before bathtime

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
spot it was 115 with the light closer with the light back to its original spot it is about 90 what one is better

Somewhere in the middle...closer to 100 for the basking spot....