Waterproof Tortoise Enclosure

HoneyBea23

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi there!

I am wondering if some of you could give advice on how to waterproof a 6ft by 4ft (length by width) indoor enclosure for my baby Hermann's tortoise. I have used rubber pond liner in the past, but it has been difficult to find in my city during COVID-19 lockdown. Are there any other products you would recommend as sealants? The various threads online have so many different opinions scattered across different posts, so I am hoping to get some options posted here in one spot! Any advice from you all or @Tom, @Yvonne G, @HermanniChris specifically would be such a relief. Thank you so much!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hi there!

I am wondering if some of you could give advice on how to waterproof a 6ft by 4ft (length by width) indoor enclosure for my baby Hermann's tortoise. I have used rubber pond liner in the past, but it has been difficult to find in my city during COVID-19 lockdown. Are there any other products you would recommend as sealants? The various threads online have so many different opinions scattered across different posts, so I am hoping to get some options posted here in one spot! Any advice from you all or @Tom, @Yvonne G, @HermanniChris specifically would be such a relief. Thank you so much!
Flex seal seems to be the best applied item so far where as to build with the PVC panels are the best

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi,

I built a 4' x 6' wood table several years ago and it still looks new. I looked at the different post using different sealers, liners, etc. and decided just to fiberglass the inside with a drain which makes it very easy to clean when needed.

It's not hard to wet out heavy cloth with epoxy like west systems using pool paint for the finish and end up with a non slip surface that's completely waterproof and tough.

However, I'm no expert on tortoise tables but thought I'd post what worked well for me as a different option.

Phil

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Flex seal seems to be the best applied item so far where as to build with the PVC panels are the best

First off, thank you for your quick reply! Secondly, do you know if it has any fumes? Looking out for the tortoise's health is top priority, but this product seems fairly inexpensive, so I’m very intrigued! :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
First off, thank you for your quick reply! Secondly, do you know if it has any fumes? Looking out for the tortoise's health is top priority, but this product seems fairly inexpensive, so I’m very intrigued! :)
Just let it off has for a few days after you apply and you should be good. Whew fiberglass application is b?tech but would last since boats do!

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Hi,

I built a 4' x 6' wood table several years ago and it still looks new. I looked at the different post using different sealers, liners, etc. and decided just to fiberglass the inside with a drain which makes it very easy to clean when needed.

It's not hard to wet out heavy cloth with epoxy like west systems using pool paint for the finish and end up with a non slip surface that's completely waterproof and tough.

However, I'm no expert on tortoise tables but thought I'd post what worked well for me as a different option.

Phil

That's a great solution you added there, I will also look into that and see if its something I could do. Thank you so much! :)
Just let it off has for a few days after you apply and you should be good. Whew fiberglass application is b?tech but would last since boats do!
Ok, great! Did you use the spray can or the liquid? I’m worried it might be messy to work with, but if I tape where I want it applied in the enclosure, it might be ok, right?