Watermelon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of watermelon as a fruit option for their torts. I live in a drier part of the country and was thinking that watermelon as a staple fruit in a red foot diet would really help my torts stay hydrated.

Anyone feed watermelon to the torts or have an opinion on it one way or another? I tested it on them last night for the first time and they seemed to like it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feed it to mine, and they absolutely love it! I don't really believe in "staples." Any diet should be varied, but as part of a variety, watermelon should be just fine.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Our two redfoots get fruit also once maybe twice a week when it's in season,
and watermelon is one of their favorites.
I also try to feed a varied diet so ours wouldn't likely get watermelon twice in a row.
Not sure on your hydration question, but as long as they have water available
and the proper humidity I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Watermelon is one of the favorites around here, but I feed it as an occasional treat rather then more often, because there are what I feel better fruit choices out there.

Aug142009tortsRFLeo077.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Good for hydration and variety, low in key nutrients. I understand the hydration challenge, but I think you can find other options to help.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
My red-foots get plenty that's thrown over the fence by my neighbor. He has a huge garden, and right now it's full of watermelon. I even have watermelon growing in the spot that he throws it. Ha! The tortoises love when he does that.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.