Outdoor Pen for Small Leopard Tortoise

TortsGeorge&Izzy

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I'm looking for tips and ideas for an outdoor pen for Izzy. Izzy is a Leopard Tortoise. Izzy is still pretty small (attached picture from today - measuring it at about 5 inches).

I'm still looking at the other posts I know there is a lot of info and pics to look through, but I want to make sure I'm getting tips specific to a Leopard Tortoise - as well as one for Izzy's size.

Have not quite decided if whatever this pen will be - if it will be a pen that we can move fairly easily or something that will stay were we make it. I'm assuming suggestions on size and building materials will decide that.

- Size: I do have a pen for her already (I think it was sold to be used for a rabbit) - its a pen with an enclosure attached - but I'd like to make something larger for her so she can take advantage of the warm time, sunlight, exercise, etc she'll be getting while outside and she can grow more. I do also have section of the yard that she could be lose in, but the problem is she still so small we'd lose her and we certainly don't want anyone stepping on her while trying to find her or anything like that. Any recommendations as to what size to make the pen (for use now, and probably for the next few inches she'll grow)?

- Top: For her pen I was thinking of having a top (wire?) to it so that way no predators can get to her. As far as shelter goes - any preference (and reasoning please) to the shelter being part of the top or being things inside the pen.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Attachments

• IZZY_42715.jpg
    IZZY_42715.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 20

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That is a pretty small option even for the size of your girl. I use a large dog run. It sits in a corner of my house so its 20x20. I have a pond net over it to keep birds out but I bring mine in at night. I like a height I can walk in to weed and clean but that's me.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Russian tortoise is 5 inches long. I used pressure treated 2 x 12's to build my enclosure and then I put a hardware cloth lid on it. The lid was probably overkill but oh well :) is your yard fenced in? If your yard is fenced and nothing can get to your tortoise, including your dogs if you have any, then you probably don't need anything over-the-top for a tortoise that size. Do you bring your tortoise in at night? If your tortoise will be out there 24 seven then you'll need a more elaborate pin. You can just build a big square or rectangle in one place or you can move it from place to place. Just make sure you provide something for shade so the tortoise can get out of the hot sun when needed.