Water

Kartik

Is it necessary to supply star tortoise with water all the time in his tank??

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Just keep the water in there, he knows when he needs it. If you take it out and he is thirsty there is no water access.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the forum. All living things need water. We can all survive without food for a while but lack of water causes irreversible changes and if prolonged-death. I'll see if I can find any pictures of my torts drinking. It is so cute to watch

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453205796.472187.jpg my RF girl goes to her water dish every day to take a loooooong drink. We are sure to change the water daily and that water dish is easy to access for them. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453207189.152800.jpg they also like to walk in their water and just sit there. There are great care sheets on here. You can look up what your specific breed needs. There are also members on here who keep stars that willingly share their knowledge and experience with the newcomers. Hope you enjoy this forum

Kartik

Think u all..my tortoise is now drinking water in plenty..I just kept him over spilt water accidently and he strted drinking water.

Kartik

But if I keep water in his tank he spills it and my place is quite cold fr one month from now..wet and cold is dangerous fr him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The answer to this question is still yes, as we said in your other thread asking the same question.

Here is my answer from your other thread asking the same question:
Here is how I keep stars. The title says "Sulcatas and Leopards", but I house my stars identically :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

You have been given all sorts of misinformation:
1. Tortoises don't get "colds" or the "flu". They can get respiratory infections if their environmental conditions are not correct. Usually they get too cold, and cold mixed with damp is even worse. Stars like it hot. Sounds like your tortoise needs a basking lamp for day time and a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat for night time.
2. Spinach should only be fed to them once in a while, not frequently. Same with cabbage.
3. They should never be fed fruit.
4. No tortoise species gets all the water it needs from its food. This is a myth.
5. Your tortoise does need a water bowl and it should not be a problem for it to spill if you are using the right substate and the temperatures are correct.
6. He doesn't need a lawn. Just a closed of area that can be dedicated to him. I would never go to park as you can't have any idea what chemicals or toxins have been sprayed on that grass or in that area.

Check this one out too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

To add to the above, if your tortoise is spilling his water, you need a different bowl. If you are using the correct substrate, any spilled water will be absorbed. If the temperature are being kept where they need to be, spilled water and damp substrate will be good for him, not harmful.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
My Stars love to soak in their water pans. They tend to poop there too necessitating lots of water changes. They have water 24/7.